Author Topic: Alexander Mackey  (Read 11312 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mackey
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 July 12 05:44 BST (UK) »
Both those births are on AncestryIreland.

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 31 August 12 15:47 BST (UK) »
Moya
Mary Jane Cummins is 'one of mine'!  She and Alexander Mackay emigrated to US in 1856 (and were in Ohio for the 1860 census).  He died in 1880 and she in 1909 in Ohio.  I've tracked them through the
regards
Deborah

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 September 12 01:10 BST (UK) »
hi

headstone in magheragall c of i reads

Headstone Inscription/ Mackey/ In loving memory of our dear parents/ Emily Jane/ Died 7th July 1942/ Her husband Jeremiah/ Died 18th September 1953/ Their Grandson Graham/ Died 20th September 1940/ Vase/ Mackey

yours

magheragall

Offline moyawarr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 September 12 04:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, Jeremiah was the son of Alexander and Sarah Mackey. I have found that Alexander Mackey (born 1864) did come from the Lisburn area. I got his service record in the RIC and he was signed up by an Inspector Fleury who was stationed Lisburn at that time in 1883. So all I've got to do now is find out who his mother was !! Alexander senior is described as a widower in 1868 when he married Sarah Hinds, but I can't find any deaths for a female Mackey after 1864 when Alexander was born and 1868 when his father married Sarah Hinds. The only thing I can't get my head around is the records of a Frederick Meekey ? born 1866 to Alexander and Sarah Hynds in Belfast and an Albert Ford Mackey born 1867 to same parents, Alexander described as a shoemaker, Belfast. What are the odds on two Alexanders marrying two Sarah Hinds ??

Offline moyawarr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 September 12 09:02 BST (UK) »
I HAVE CRACKED IT !!!!  I have found three children born to Sarah Hinds in Knocknadona. 1864 Alexander, 1866 Frederick, 1867 Albert Forde. Obviously they have taken the name Mackey when Sarah married Alexander Mackey in 1868. I am assuming that they were all illegitimate as there is no father's name on the ancestry.com record. Moya

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 September 12 10:38 BST (UK) »

Knocknadona is a townland and in a neigbouring townland, just off lissue road, on the knocknarea road there was a hinds family who worked the sand pit up until at least ww 11. they also had around 1900 had a shop in bow street lisburn, there is a photo on lisburn.com an article on that site written by the "digger" shows the family outside the shop

magheragall

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 23:24 BST (UK) »

baptism records of magheragall have an entry for 1864 which will be of interest, i think

A Son born to Alexander Mackey and Sarah Hinds, address of father given as Moyrusk and Alexander is descibed as farmer. The baby was born on what looks like 1st August 1864 and baptised Alexander on 7th August 1864. The date is definitly 1864 and the month is August but the number is difficult to read.

Note the minister wrote along side this baptism "Base Born" i assume that means out of wedlock

yours

magheragall

Offline moyawarr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Magheragall. Are you the same person who emailed me some photos ? I am now starting to pad-out this Tree. I have found marriages for 6 of the sons, but can't find what happened to Albert Forde (Hinds) Mackey. Sarah's first born was William Thomas Carlisle 1862, he was a widower on the 1911 with his mother Sarah (Greenfield), but I can't locate any other record for him. I located one of the sons, Valentine born 1871. He went to USA, he was Valentine on the ships passenger list in 1892, but from then on he has the name James Valentine, at first I thought he was a different person, but have now located his marriage record where his parents are named as Alexander and Sarah. Do you know of any reason why he would take on another name.  Regards  Moya

Offline Jenclarke53

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 May 19 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi does anyone have any updates on alexander mackey and Sarah hinds (hynds) they are 3x great grandparents and trying to find out any information.