Author Topic: Battaglini - Date and possible identification?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline partially

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Battaglini - Date and possible identification?
« on: Sunday 08 July 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
So I have this photograph that was included with some others of the Battaglini family, of the vicinity of Pisa in Italy.

The photo I have is not an original but part of a series of old reproduction postcards, which have been pencilled in with a number and name on the back – unfortunately I appear to be missing quite a few, as the numbers of the four postcards I have are 3, 4, 7, and 10.

The photograph in question is pencilled 10, underneath in the same handwritting is "Barone Silvatice = Parente di Battaglini". Now 3 and 4 are Ermanno Battaglini (b. 1847) and Raffaello Battaglini (b. circa 1850) who both emigrated to Australia. 7 is Jacopo Battaglini (b. 1813) their father. But I have no idea who this Barone Silvatice is. Jacopo's father Guiseppe Andrea Battaglini (b. 1773) seems a stretch, given the apparent relative youth of the subject.

So I guess what would be helpful is if anyone can give an approximate age of the subject and possible date for the photograph. Or else have any information on a Barone Silvatice. If you consider it at all helpful I can post the other postcards for comparison, but they are all fairly different styles, so probably were not done at around the same time.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Battaglini - Date and possible identification?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
As he's dressed formally makes it quite difficult to date especially as it's a reproduction meaning we can't get the extra info. from the cardstock.Excuses over my thought is 1860's.The reason being this is a full length photo & the foreground is slightly fuzzy which was a feature of the primitive lenses used at this time.Also he is held by a posing stand which is runnig behind his left leg (trust me it's there) which gives rise to the pose of having one leg straight & the other relaxed.Posing stands had disappeared by 1870 except in unusual circumstances.
The backdrop being plain with just a side curtain & chair is also typical of the 1860's.I would suggest this is mid-late decade.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline partially

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 02:31 BST (UK) »
Cheers, well that narrows it a little, since going by my impression of his age I would place him closer to Jacopo's generation. Unfortunately I have no information on any brother's of Jacopo (not unusual as the tree I have inherited only lists father and son direct line going back to 15th century). Does make me wonder why someone obtained this picture without giving additional information though.

Offline LHampton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 April 24 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am a Battaglini descendant living in Australia did you ever find out any information on Barone Silvatice.

Cheers