Author Topic: Samuel Carson Boyd, county of oxford, 1829  (Read 19719 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Samuel Carson Boyd, county of oxford, 1829
« on: Sunday 08 July 12 14:55 BST (UK) »
Yesterday, while looking on Ancestry for information on Samuel Carson Boyd who married a relative of mine in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada in 1856, I found an entry for Samuel Carson Boyd in Oxford. This person was charged with stealing a horse and the court session was in February 1829 for the city of Oxford. In the acquittals column, was found "No bill". What does this mean?
To explain further, my Samuel Carson Boyd was supposedly born in July 1835 in Montreal, Canada. In none of his documents, such as marriage, death, etc. does my Samuel give his parents names. I am wondering if the one in Oxford could be his father or a very close relative. You see, my Samuel married Mary Hart and her mother was Susannah Boyd who was supposedly born Oct 14, 1808 in Oxford, England. Thinking Samuel and Susannah were related.  The name Samuel Carson Boyd is found in every generation of descendants of my Samuel.  Could anyone find the birth of Samuel Carson Boyd in Oxford, England, abt. 1800-1810?
Thanks for any help. This could solve 2 puzzles at once.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Carson Boyd, county of oxford, 1829
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 12 19:08 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this? I think that "being in Kings bench means being in debtors prison?

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, June 29, 1811; Issue 3035.

All persons who stand indebted to the estate and effects of the late Samuel Carson, wine and brandy merchant to the date thereof are hereby requested to pay their respective accounts to Mr. Nicholas Gunn, his executor, in Holywell Street, Oxford, June 24, 1811

Samuel Carson Boyd, having succeeded to the business of his late uncle, Mr. Samuel Carson, begs leave to assure the friends of his late uncle and the public in general that every attention will be paid to merit future favours. Oxford June 24, 1811.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, May 18, 1822; Issue 3603.

Whereas there has lately appeared in the city and county of Oxford scandalous and malicious hand bills purporting that Samuel Carson Boyd of the city of Oxford, hired a horse and gig of John Margetts, Horse dealer; I do hereby state that the aforesaid assertion is false; the said horse and gig having been taken off Mrs. Margetts (Mr. Margetts being then in the King’s Bench) in part of payment of a large debt incurred by the said John Margetts while he kept the Anchor Inn.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, June 15, 1822; Issue 3607.

Bankrupt: Samuel Carson Boyd, Oxford wine –merchant.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, June 29, 1822; Issue 3609.

Boyd’s bankruptcy: All persons indebted to the estate of Mr. Samuel Carson Boyd, late of the city of Oxford, wine and Spirit merchant are requested immediately to pay the amount of their respective debts to Mr. George Cecil solicitor, Oxford, who alone is authorised to receive the same.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 July 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
This where the uncle lived, also called Mr. S. Carson Boyd:

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, June 15, 1811; Issue 3033.

ELIGIBLE LEASEHOLD HOUSE:-TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION BY W. FISHER at the Hind’s Head, Queen Street, on Monday next the 17th June, at seven o’ clock, all that convenient DWELLING HOUSE and appurtenances therein belonging, situate in St. Ebbe’s street, in the City of Oxford; consisting of two parlours, a kitchen, cellar, five bedrooms, court yard, with a pump in the same, and a pleasant garden. The above estate is in good repair is held by lease under the City of Oxford, late in the occupation of Mr. S. Carson Boyd, brandy merchant, now of Messrs. Brooks and Lee.

Yes I saw the same entry, maybe it means no complaint from a witness there are two entries below it with the same entry and in all three occasions the defendant was acquitted, so maybe no costs either.

Tom

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
This is fascinating and I do feel that this Samuel Carson Boyd is somehow related to my Samuel Carson Boyd who was born 1835 in Montreal. Maybe that is why he never listed his parents. And maybe he wasn't really born in Montreal. I thank you Tom, for bringing this
to my attention. So this Samuel Carson Boyd was perhaps my Samuel's  father, grandfather, or uncle. And Susannah must be related somehow as she was born in Oxford in 1808 although haven't found her birth.
Thanks again. If you come across a birth in 1835 for a Samuel Carson Boyd, might be my guy.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 12 00:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how I could obtain the will of Mr. Samuel Carson who died in Oxford abt. June 1811. He was the uncle of Samuel Carson Boyd who MAY be connected to my family in Canada. It is my understanding that the uncle was Samuel Carson, whereas the
nephew was Samuel Carson Boyd. The will might really help my genealogy.
thanks for any help.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 12 00:54 BST (UK) »
I don't know the exact date of the 1811 Oxford Census. Mr Samuel Carson lived on St. Ebbe's Street in the city of Oxford. After his death, his nephew Mr. Samuel Carson Boyd owned the property. I would be curious to see the family members of either one of them, especially the nephew. If Samuel Carson Boyd was not there until after the 1811 census, perhaps he is there in 1821.
Thanks ever so much for any help
Peggy

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 July 12 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy

First the bad news I am afraid that there is no 1811 census,  the earliest surviving useful census for England is 1841, with a few small exceptions and as far as I am aware Oxford isn't one of them.

The good news is there is a will left by Samuel Carson wine and brandy merchant who died 1810 at Oxford Record Office - I have an index to them,  the reference is W 101.483;230/1/22

If you contact them they may send you a copy (for a fee)

It looks like both Samuel & his nephew were Freeman of Oxford either by purchase, inheritance or apprenticeship.

Samuel Carson
Oxford Freemen Index 1663–1997, 27.11.1786.
Reference OPI-56608

Samuel Carson Boyd
Oxford Freemen Index 1663–1997, 25.11.1812.
Reference OPI-56541

:)

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 July 12 07:59 BST (UK) »
There is also this reference to a death notice - I see Tom has some access to Jackson's Oxford journal - any chance of seeing if there is any further info?

Mr Samuel Carson
72. Death notice/obituary Butcher Row, Oxford wine and liquor merchant, of Oxford.
Jackson's Oxford Journal, 25.8.1810.
Reference OPI-6999

Carson & Boyd are rare surnames in Oxford at that time which may make things easier

:)
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 July 12 08:13 BST (UK) »
Yes,

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, August 25, 1810; Issue 2991.

Yesterday died at his house in the Butcher-row, Mr. Samuel Carson, aged 72 years, wine and liquor merchant, of this city.

Here's Samuel in 1794: http://www.headington.org.uk/oxon/people_lists/oxford_1794_universal/index.htm

Tom