Author Topic: Donnelly/Moran Brick wall  (Read 3743 times)

Offline demented

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donnelly/Moran Brick wall
« on: Monday 09 July 12 13:19 BST (UK) »
Clutching at straws here but am trying to find out about the background of my gg grandparents Matthew Donnelly and Mary Moran before they came to Scotland C1859.

Census records only show Ireland as birthplace. However a Poor Law record for Matthew in 1890 states he was born in Co Mayo near Castlebar.

Children's BCs show marriage 2nd Aug. 1858 Campsie (or Glasgow in some cases) but can't find any record in SP so think they may have married in Ireland.
Have tried all suggested sites for Mayo but no luck as I have no idea of parish etc.

DCs show
Matthew b C1841 Parents Matthew Donnelly(horse dealer) and Catherine King
Mary b C 1842  Parents John Moran (farmer) and Catherine Morrison
Hoping someone may recognise the names or have any ideas on finding the right area/parish to search.Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks Margaret

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Donnelly/Moran Brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret
Matthew Donnelly and Mary Moran are my GGG grand parents down my mothers family line. Like you I have hit a brick wall, I have gathered the same information as you. You may know this,  they resided in Kirkintilloch for a while, I'm assuming they came over from Co. Mayo to Kirkintilloch or they may have stop of in some other place first. I do have poorlaw records for Matthew and Mary's children; James, Maryann, Anthony and Thomas.I haven't found any poorlaw for Catherine. i also have death cert information for children they lost.
I would be happy to share this information with you.( I have a feeling we may have been in contact on Genes Reunited, but not certain)

look forward to hearing from you
Rosina

Offline demented

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosina
Great to hear from you. You're right we have been in contact before through GR.
Will PM you with my e-mail address. Hopefully we can solve the problem together.
Margaret

Offline demented

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Donnelly/Moran Brick wall. Update
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Have found two Matthew Donnellys in Griffith's Valuation in Carha near Castlebar. Think there's a possibility they could be my ancestors (father and son)
My problem now is that I have been unable to find a church that may have records of baptism,marriage etc.
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks Margaret

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 14:00 GMT (UK) »
The records were kept by parish, so that's what you need to work out before searching for records.

There are two townlands named Carha on the townland index - one in Kilgarvan civil parish, the other in Islandeady civil parish - nether seem all that close to Castlebar...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Those two Carha entries on Griffith's are in Islandeady civil parish, which is near Westport. They could both relate to the same person, as one lists a house offices & land, the other just land (no house). These entries are dated 1855.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 14:06 GMT (UK) »
RC parish for this area is also called 'Islandeady'. Baptism and marriage records go back to 1839.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline demented

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help shanew. It's much appreciated.

Didn't think of the possibility that it could be just one person.
 With luck he could possibly be my ggg grandfather.
Thanks also for the info about the parishes.
Will keep on digging!!
Margaret

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
there are RC parish details and maps by county on the Irish Times website. You can click on the links below the parish details to see the civil parishes and townlands included in each RC parish.

see : RC Parishes

Shane
My Surname Interests