Author Topic: Where and when did he die ?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline mkeeble

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where and when did he die ?
« on: Tuesday 10 July 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
William Tyler was born in 1867 in Ardleigh, Essex. 1881 census shows him at 53 Lower Heath, Wivenhoe, Essex. He marries ont he 9 Oct 1892 St Thomas, Stepney to Rosina Charlotte Lamb where his address is listed as 16 Park Street, Stepney and his occupation Steward. On 24 Jan 1893 Phyllis Tyler is born and 30 Jul 1893 she is baptised at St Mary Magdalene, East Ham where address is listed as Plaistow and William's occupation as ship's steward. Rosina died Q1 1893 during child's birth but I do not know where she is buried.

The question is, when and where did William Tyler die ? Discussions within family indicate he died soon afterwards but where ? The daughter is living with a relative in the 1901 and 1911 census.

What happened to William ? All ideas appreciated.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Where and when did he die ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Just wondered if this is your William Tyler, I found the following Probate

William Tyler of 20 Arlington St, Piccadilly, Middx  House Steward, died 7th March 1896
Probate 15th May London to John Lewis, Hotel Keeper, and John Dodson, Publican.
Effects £7138. 9s. 9d resworn December 1896  £6783. 6s 6d.

regards,

Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline mkeeble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I did have a quick look at this one but I believe it is most likely William Tyler born 1845 which doesn't fit.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD has the following deaths registered between 1892 and 1900 which are vaguely possible:

William Tyler Mar qtr 1893 Newton Abbott vol 5b p122 age 24
William George Tyler Dec qtr 1893 Wallingford vol 2c p196 age 26
William Edward Tyler Jun qtr 1896 West Ham vol 4a p160 age 35 (place OK, age dodgy)
William Tyler Dec qtr 1897 Salford vol 8d p108 age 30
William Edward Tyler Jun qtr 1900 Headington vol 3a p507 age 34

None of these are convincing, so my instinct says that he may have left his daughter with a relative and gone back to work.  In which case, if he died at sea, it's going to be tricky to find him.

I know there are passenger lists online, but maybe a Rootschatter knows if there are searchable crew lists.

Good hunting
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mkeeble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks philipsearching.

Sadly, your post sums up exactly where I am. All of the William Tyler's appear unlikely. The sea death is possible. I did have a quick look in the british newspaper archives for deaths around this time but without adding credit. Nothing caught my eye though. Next time I pay for a time I will have a more thorough look.

Does anybody have burial indexes which might either help identify William or the burial of his wife ?

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 10:05 BST (UK) »
firstly if rosina died at home and if you have the death cert look at the area around where she was living for cemeteries and contact those first the chances are she wouldn,t be buried far from there .
then for william i,ve looked in deaths at sea - overseas deaths and maritime deaths and there are some possibles for the date period but the problem is most are either just down as TYLER or have extra first names or initials , have you been through all the william tylers in the 1901 cen only sometimes it,s the only way of eliminating them .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline mkeeble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thank for the reply.

Yes I have gone through the William Tylers in the 1901 and 1911 census. Most are easily eliminated but one or two still remain but seem unlikely. I do not have the death cert for Rosina mainly since she is a rather distant relative not on my direct line. It is, however, one of my brick walls and I may have to invest in the certificate.

I have tried to find the burial via seax and have tried to contact several possible cemeteries without success.

t mo, where did you look to find the maritime deaths ?

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
find my past has the bmd,s for army - at sea - overseas  - maritime records not all but a good few and always worth a look .
as to rosina if you find the death reg details give the gro a ring and ask them if they would be prepared to just look up her address on the record give a bit of the old flannel it may work  ;D ;D . and besides whats to lose cost of a call ! .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline elmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for the marriage of daughter Phyllis? She would have married around 1913/20 and may tell you if William is deceased or he may be a witness. He may have been at sea in 1901 and 1911.