Author Topic: Can't find a trace of a marriage  (Read 4222 times)

Offline RobMcF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can't find a trace of a marriage
« on: Friday 13 July 12 06:13 BST (UK) »
I know that my great-great-grandmother was Kate Slyman, born in Liverpool around 1870 and of Irish descent.  I have a birth record and an 1871 census record that I'm hoping are her, but can't prove just yet.  The birth record is for a Kate Slyman born in September 1870, parents listed as James Slyman (laborer) and Anne Troy, living on Milton Street.  The census record lists James (laborer) and Johanna Sleaman, both born in Ireland, with a baby Catherine and a 3-year-old Mary, both born in Liverpool.  They are living on Johnson Street, which is just a few blocks from Milton.  As James and Johanna are listed at 24 and 22 years old and have a 3-year-old, their marriage would likely be around 1867 and likely in Liverpool.

However, I've looked everywhere I know for both civil and church records and haven't been able to find a marriage record.  I've searched all of England, I've searched Irish records, nothing.

Any ideas?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a trace of a marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 12 07:00 BST (UK) »
www.freebmd.org.uk has
Dec Qtr 1870  Catherine Slyman   Liverpool

this would suggest born oct / nov /dec birth - but if she was born the last week in September , she could have been registered Dec Qtr ....
checked lan-opc and for Slyman - Slimond is also listed , going to check now for a James Slyman / Sleman / Sleaman / Slimond marriage
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline RobMcF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 12 07:09 BST (UK) »
www.freebmd.org.uk has
Dec Qtr 1870  Catherine Slyman   Liverpool

this would suggest born oct / nov /dec birth - but if she was born the last week in September , she could have been registered Dec Qtr ....
checked lan-opc and for Slyman - Slimond is also listed , going to check now for a James Slyman / Sleman / Sleaman / Slimond marriage
allan

This is the cert I have.  She was born in September, registered in October.  Sorry, should have mentioned that.

She was actually born on Sept. 8 and not registered until Oct. 14.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 12 07:28 BST (UK) »
searched England / Ireland / Scotland /Northern Ireland

1868 in Northern Ireland there is a James Sleman to Ann ???...but no surname for Ann ....and if Mary is born 1867 Liverpool , - a marriage in N.I. seems unlikely a year after ....
on the 1901 census aged 34 she is down as MARY J SLYMAN - daughter in St Columbo parish Liverpool.....  don`t know what the J stands for ?

1867 june qtr James Slimond marriage - but not to an Anne
Sarah Lloyd or Jane Davies in Liverpool
so
sorry - had a real good look , but can`t find that marriage of
James Slyman to Anne Troy
for the record there is a James Slyman aged 16 b Liverpool in the 1891 census in St Martin in the Fields parish - so b 1874/75....could be a sibling of Mary and Catherine ?
he is in an Institution

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline RobMcF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 12 07:38 BST (UK) »
searched England / Ireland / Scotland /Northern Ireland

1868 in Northern Ireland there is a James Sleman to Ann ???...but no surname for Ann ....and if Mary is born 1867 Liverpool , - a marriage in N.I. seems unlikely a year after ....
on the 1901 census aged 34 she is down as MARY J SLYMAN - daughter in St Columbo parish Liverpool.....  don`t know what the J stands for ?

1867 june qtr James Slimond marriage - but not to an Anne
Sarah Lloyd or Jane Davies in Liverpool
so
sorry - had a real good look , but can`t find that marriage of
James Slyman to Anne Troy
for the record there is a James Slyman aged 16 b Liverpool in the 1891 census in St Martin in the Fields parish - so b 1874/75....could be a sibling of Mary and Catherine ?
he is in an Institution

allan

Thanks for checking.  Always good to have another pair of eyes to make sure nothing obvious was missed.

Where did you find the 1868 marriage listed?  I don't think I came across that one.  Worth checking out.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 July 12 07:45 BST (UK) »
1861 census
2 Howard street
Liverpool
ANNIE TROY aged 14 born 1847 Ireland .
checking freebmd for ANNIE and not Anne

1868 marriage in Northern Ireland was
www.familysearch.org
james slyman
marriage
northern Ireland
spouse Anne Troy
search
regards
allan...
I suppose that they could have come to Liverpool ...had Mary ...gone back to Northern Ireland to marry and then came back to Liverpool after the marriage ..many Irish girls came to Liverpool to have their babies ....so they wouldn`t shame their parents....in fact ...they still do ...have you found a Liverpool birth for Mary Slyman in 1867 ?...or...is she Mary Troy ??

Offline RobMcF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 July 12 07:56 BST (UK) »
1861 census
2 Howard street
Liverpool
ANNIE TROY aged 14 born 1847 Ireland .
checking freebmd for ANNIE and not Anne

1868 marriage in Northern Ireland was
www.familysearch.org
james slyman
marriage
northern Ireland
spouse Anne Troy
search
regards
allan...
I suppose that they could have come to Liverpool ...had Mary ...gone back to Northern Ireland to marry and then came back to Liverpool after the marriage ..many Irish girls came to Liverpool to have their babies ....so they wouldn`t shame their parents....in fact ...they still do ...have you found a Liverpool birth for Mary Slyman in 1867 ?...or...is she Mary Troy ??

I was just thinking that the census could easily be wrong and Mary could be two instead of three in 1871.  I tend to view all info on census forms as suspect anyway.

I'm not seeing the marriage.  I see a James Slamen in 1868 in Maghera, Derry, but it's to a Catherine McTamny.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 July 12 08:04 BST (UK) »
I can`t find a birth in Liverpool for a Mary Slyman or a Mary Troy around 1867 ...?
Let me check that James Slamen record again...with putting in Anne Troy as spouse , it came up with James Slamen , but I didn`t see the name Catherine McTamny...I`ll double check
allan

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 July 12 08:19 BST (UK) »
Ha Ha ..just checked
James Slamen
marriage
Northern Ireland
result
Magherafelt - no name for his spouse.......that`s sods law...
so why when I put in James Slyman - marriage - Northern Ireland 1860-1870 Anne Troy for spouse - would it come up James Slamen in Maghera...I am a little confused now ...
maybe it came up with the nearest spelling to James Slyman....even though the brides name wasn`t Anne ?...anyway, sorry to mislead you ...that was familysearch - not me ...much preferred the old site
allan