Author Topic: 1854 birth  (Read 4182 times)

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1854 birth
« on: Saturday 21 July 12 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hi  cannot find birth cert off Rachel Medley born 1854 in Belfast.. can anyone help?

Need to trace the parents of Rachel, any ideas or help much appreciated x
Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell
Paterson-Ewing-North-Munro-Kemp-Jack

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1854 birth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 12 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Civil registration of births did not start in Ireland until 1864 so you will have to depend on church records. To find these you need to know the area of Belfast where Rachel was born and her
 religion.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 12 09:23 BST (UK) »
Did Rachel Medley marry? If so, marriage certificate might list parents, or at least father, depending on where/when event took place.

I can't see a marriage or death under that name in the online Irish civil registration index but perhaps you have more information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 12 18:31 BST (UK) »

the further info i have for Rachel is that she died 8th November 1940 Lochee county of Angus, she was  married in 1881 St Andrews Dundee to Donald McDonald..

there is no mention of parents on the M cert... so I'm hoping I have the right person and at a guess she was around the age of 26-27yrs when married?, again assumed calculation.

Im struggling to trace her in Ireland as the only info I have is the strong possibility she came from Belfast, although 'it could be completely wrong'???? However a starting point I'm sure.

thank you for the hints above x

Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell
Paterson-Ewing-North-Munro-Kemp-Jack

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 12 18:57 BST (UK) »
You need to check all possible resources and then try to find Irish records. To start with what listed for her age and place of birth in 1891, 1901 and 1911 census?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
there is no mention of parents on the M cert... so I'm hoping I have the right person and at a guess she was around the age of 26-27yrs when married?, again assumed calculation.

I suspect what you have is the religious marriage certificate, If you obtain a copy of the civil certificate from Scotlandspeople, it should give you her age and, normally, her parents names (unless she was an orphan or illegitimate etc).
Elwyn

Offline moyawarr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 July 12 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hello. The marriage of Donald and Rachel took place in 1875. I have printed out the information if you would like me to send it to you directly, please send me a pm. Her parents were Thomas (a linen weaver) and Elizabeth, maiden name looks like Lockie or Lochie, no mention of place. The 1881 census they have son Robert age 5 and what would probably be Donald's brother Robert.  The 1891 no mention of Donald, young Robert is 15, the older Robert is still with them. Sorry can't open these census records, I ran out of credits.  Moya

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 July 12 06:03 BST (UK) »

Can't find her birth, but a Thomas Medley married Betty Ann Leckie in Belfast in 1853...

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 July 12 06:38 BST (UK) »

Thomas is buried in Belfast City Cemetery (just input Medley into surname):

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/search.asp