Author Topic: Help with 'Swansea Parish' Please  (Read 13676 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 'Swansea Parish' Please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 November 12 10:51 GMT (UK) »

Hi JohnG,

Fascinating info on Llangyfelach, - I shall spend some time later looking through all the refs that you give!

Most of my Rees ancestors came from Morriston and Llangyfelach, and so I too am interested in that area.

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline knight456

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 09:14 GMT (UK) »
thankyou,the old maps are very useful,i live in cadle,portmead so am familiar with the area.
ive been searching for pentre estyll for over a year now,i think it was more of a village than just a street.
there are some burial's of surname emanuel in st john i would like to find,also baptisms were done there too,
have you come across any emanuel's  whilst researching?
theyre either in pentre estyll or in llangyfelach rd through the census.
stacey

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Readers

I find it necessary to correct my previous post of 09:30 yesterday (Monday 5th November).

I have today come into possession of new information concerning the parishes of St John's, Glamorganshire and of Llangyfelach, Glamorganshire.

There is on UK & Ireland Genealogy (genuki(dot)org(dot)uk) an index page for Glamorgan (/big/wal/GLA/) in the centre of this index page is a link to "Glamorgan parish diagram" which in turn leads to a map I had not previously seen. 

Having now studied this map I would suggest that the St John's church mentioned in the message of "Knight456", above, is St John's Church, Odo Street, Hafod and not St John's Church, Woodfield Street, Morriston, as suggested in my message.

Moving On: Mention of St. John's Church, Woodfield Street, Morriston, is to be found on the Llangyfelach page of UK & Ireland Geneaology ( /big/wal/GLA/Llangyfelach/Morriston/ )

May I apologise to those of you who might have been led into wasting time in response to my message of yesterday.

“Knight456”: It is not immediately clear to me where the burial ground/ cemetery for St John’s Church, Hafod is.  I shall be making further enquiries, unless other readers already know where it is and post the information in this thread.

JohnG.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline knight456

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 10:02 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that.
do you think that within the parish/hamlet in the census refers to st john in odo st or st john in morriston?
                    stacey knight
stacey

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Stacey

thankyou,the old maps are very useful,i live in cadle,portmead so am familiar with the area.

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]ive been searching for pentre estyll for over a year now,i think it was more of a village than just a street.[/color]
there are some burial's of surname emanuel in st john i would like to find,also baptisms were done there too,
have you come across any emanuel's  whilst researching?
theyre either in pentre estyll or in llangyfelach rd through the census.

Have you looked at the first page of the bundle? If you can read it ( I sometimes have considerable  difficulty reading the longhand script of those days) it should give a description of the area covered by the following pages, a bit like a postmans route.

As an incomer, my knowledge of Welsh language leaves an awful lot to be desired, and I wondered if Pentre Estyll might be a farm? Is there any clues from what else is on the page in question, or on the preceding page, or on the following page, which might indicate where Pentre Estyll fits in with any nearby locations that can be identified.

thanks for that.
do you think that within the parish/hamlet in the census refers to st john in odo st or st john in morriston?
                    stacey knight

Are you prepared to identify the pages you are looking at,  so that others might look at the same pages to make our own assessment?

Also, I have asked elsewhere, for information about the parish boundaries of both St. John's, Hafod and for St. John's, Morriston.  If I receive a reply I'll let you know the outcome.

JohnG.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Online Swansea Jill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Pentre Estyll is the area between Greenhill and Brynhyfryd in Swansea.  If you google Pentre Estyll you'll find more information.

Regards
Swansea Jill

Offline knight456

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
i had this photo from the internet,it looks like it could be at the top of eaton rd but not sure.
also an 1841 census ref HO 107/1424/4  enumeration schedule 7 page 6.
RG14 Piece 32739 Schedule  70.address is 2 cwm rd pentre estyll,glamorgan
1851 census ref HO 107/2465/~F503   this census says in the village of pentre estyll but spelt estill
                   stacey
stacey

Offline knight456

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 21:27 GMT (UK) »
thanks jill,so it must have been more than a street.
                                                      stacey
stacey

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 November 12 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Stacey.

thanks for that.
                    stacey knight

If you have not already been advised by the Roots Chat robot, please be aware that I have sent you a "Personal Message" concerning a Parish Boundary map for St. John's, Hafod, which is covered by copyright restrictions.

Regards, JohnG.
Llangyfelach, Swansea.