Author Topic: Looking for birth records for Margaret Owens, b 1839 in Llandyssil  (Read 6103 times)

Offline usamah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birth records for Margaret Owens, b 1839 in Llandyssil
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 July 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. The parish register was a long shot - I believe the baptism records are available on microfiche for those years at the Powys Archive (a bit too far from London where I live).

I think you're quite right about the 1841 census record, as this matches the 1851 record where a 'Margaret Owen' is staying with the same Roberts family. Both these records have 'Owen' rather than 'Owens' - but that's not a critical difference.

There should be an entry in the national register for 1839, and there is one record 'Jan 1839 - Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Powys' - it might be worth risking £10 on that! [I wish they could digitise and make searchable all the BMD information.]

I appreciate you making the time to reply to my query.  :)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 July 12 12:11 BST (UK) »
Almost all parish registers for Montgomeryshire to 1837 are available at:

http://goo.gl/WZpWx

And also most post 1812 (bap/bur) and 1837- registers are there with original images.

There doesn't appear to be a baptism for a Margaret Owens in Llandysul in that period though.

Re. ordering the birth cert. consider the NorthWalesBMD:

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi?county=northwales

It lists the sub-registration district for births so allows you to get a better idea than just 'Newtown', which district covered about a 1/4 of the county. However a search doesn't throw up any that look like yours.

Offline usamah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your help. :)

It's frustrating that having paid for Ancestry, these parish records seem to be just on Find My Past.

I do like the regional BMD sites - but you're right, no sign of that birth record there.

I wish they could just digitise all the certificates, that would really open up research for all of us!

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 July 12 23:56 BST (UK) »
There is some sort of movement to digitise BMDs, though it's not apparent what they have done and what will be made available. Though it is know that what they have done has been done up to about the 1930s. So, I don't see why they don't make that available.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Register_Office_for_England_and_Wales#Digitisation_and_Indexing_.28D.26I.29_Project