Author Topic: Looking for birth records for Margaret Owens, b 1839 in Llandyssil  (Read 6104 times)

Offline usamah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for birth records for Margaret Owens, b 1839 in Llandyssil
« on: Saturday 21 July 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
I have Margaret's age from her marriage certificate, but sadly no mention of her father. After she married the census forms give her birth place as Llandyssil.

I have seen an 1841 census record of an Owens family not far from there, in Llanllwchaiarn, where there is a two year old Margaret with parents Thomas and Shusan.

If there are any parish or other records, I'd be very grateful.

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birth records for Margaret Owens, b 1839 in Llandyssil
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
hi, whats her husbands name maybe we can work something out from her marriage and which  census are they on

Offline usamah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
Her husband's name was William Cain (spelt Cane when he was born). He was a police constable. They married in 1865 in Oswestry.

But though Margaret is my 2nd great grandmother, William is almost certainly not my forebear. Margaret gave birth to a daughter in 1863, a year and a half before she married. He daughter was Hannah Elizabeth Jane Owens, though later when she married she gave it as Hannah Elizabeth Cain Owens.

None of the census records after her marriage give any clue to the family parents or siblings of Margaret, neither does her carriage certificate. If the census records are true, then she was born in Llandyssil in about 1839. As I mentioned before, there are census records for a Margaret of the age and surname not far from Llandyssil, where the parents are given as Thomas and Shusan.

I was hoping there might be some parish records related to this, otherwise a may have hit a dead end on this part of my family tree. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 12 12:58 BST (UK) »
have you got or have you seen the trees on ancestry with this family?it appears just having a quick look there was no father for Margaret Owen her daughter is down as Hannah Elizabeth" Jane" Owen born 1863 at Bryn hill,clun, Shropshire.died Manchester 1945 her husband,  Horatio nelson  ward

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 12 13:16 BST (UK) »
1851 census shows Margaret Owen born 1839 could the" s" have been omitted?
with parents Richard and Martha both 1804 ,  sister Elizabeth born 1837 and a brother john born 1843 all  born  llangurig which looks very near llandyssil Richard was a stone mason.  could this be a possible?

Offline usamah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 12 13:32 BST (UK) »
The tree at Ancestry is mine - well spotted!  :)

Your idea to search for 'Owen' throws up an interesting result. Llangurig is a good 10 miles from Llandyssil, but I used your tip and found a record in the 1851 census for a Margaret Owen of Llandyssil, aged 11, listed as a pauper and staying with the Roberts family of Llandyssil where she was being looked after amongst other paupers. I'm not sure whether it suggests they were related; perhaps she was an orphan.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if there even are parish records for Llandyssil in this period?

Offline usamah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
I've just spotted a 1841 census record for a 2-year-old Margaret Owens staying with the Henrys of Llanwnog, probably some 12 or miles from Llandyssil. Intruiging! But doesn't say anything about her parents.

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 July 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
it could well be her some of this research can be so frustrating

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 12 17:41 BST (UK) »
Most Montgomeryshire parish registers including supplements from BTs if transcribed by the Mont Gen Soc are available here:

http://goo.gl/WZpWx

See the lists for coverage and click the blue button at the bottom to search.

If you are not familiar, if the father is not listed on a mar. cert., this means the individual is illegitimate. Many illegitimate births are not recorded in parish registers and also a great many people in Montgomeryshire were non-conformists. All of my Montgomeryshire lines (many) had left the church of England by the 1820s and some were non-conformists 100 years earlier. There are a few Montgomeryshire non-conformist records on The Genealogist.

There are also numerous bastardy orders index at Powys Archives (listings on their site), but I am not sure if they will extend up to c. 1839.

She is much more likely to be the child aged 1 in the 1841 census living @ Copyhold, Llandyssil and listed as 'nursery'.