Author Topic: Rifle Brigade information required.  (Read 1502 times)

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rifle Brigade information required.
« on: Friday 27 July 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find details of my wife's Grandfather who was Irish and joined the Rifle Brigade in 1941. From what I can gather he must have been a Territorial and being from Eire had to go to Belfast to enlist. In his Attestation Papers it states "Eire Recruit" and in the "Corps" section it looks like 11th Battalion Rifle Brigade, but was wondering which regiment he would have been seconded to. I was told he was at Dunkirk, but as that was the year before he enlisted that seems rather dubious.
All information gratefully received.

Brian Carter.
Carter family from Warrington/Salford/Levenshulme/Stockport  Adshead family from Etchells/Stockport and Wray family from Wilderspool/Salford

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rifle Brigade information required.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 July 12 08:17 BST (UK) »
11th Battalion Rifle Brigade was a a hostilities only unit, 11th(Home Defence) 1941 - 42

see www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,360990.10.html

James

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
Did the Battalion only serve between 1941 and 1942 then?
Apparently he worked on the ack-ack guns in Belfast, but I find it strange that a 33 year old able-bodied man was put into the Home Defence which I thought were for more elderly men and less able bodied.
Are there any websites I could research this on and where would I find details of his service records and army number. Would he have been eligible for a medal?

Brian Carter.
Carter family from Warrington/Salford/Levenshulme/Stockport  Adshead family from Etchells/Stockport and Wray family from Wilderspool/Salford

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 12 07:41 BST (UK) »
As far as I can make out this was only operable during this time scale, so if it was disbanded then the members of the 11th battalion would have been used elsewhere, what you really need is his records and I am almost certain that applications for them will only be entertained from direct next of Kin, Reading through posts on here I understand that this can take many months.
The idea that more elderly or less active men were only used in Home Defence is to put it mildly "tosh", many regiments of Royal Artillery were brought from India to protect London and other major areas against the Luftwaffe and Belfast was as important as those as the major hub of the Battle of the Atlantic. I think that he would certainly be entitled to the Defence Medal and the 1939-45 War medal.

In his attestation papers you say it "looks like" the 11th battalion are you not sure of this?

However I am sure one of the regulars on this board will give details of the routes to take to obtain his records and details of his medal entitlement.

see www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic154824.0html

James

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 12 07:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure if the above link works - go to Armed Forces Resources and scroll down on first page and you will see how to obtain Military records.

James

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 12 15:00 BST (UK) »
I've attached a copy of his Attestation Paper if it is any help.
The 11th Btn is handwritten in the top right hand corner.

Brian Carter.

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 12 15:51 BST (UK) »
Well as you say it's the 11th Bn. Rifles, so he must have been absorbed into another unit when the 11th disbanded, presumeably the Royal Artillery if he was on an anti aircraft battery, I dont have the skills to search the records for individuals but now that you have his name perhaps someone on here will assist.

James