Author Topic: Goathland Church  (Read 2634 times)

Offline amanda0901

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Goathland Church
« on: Saturday 28 July 12 21:53 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a picture/drawing of the old Church at Goathland, ie the one prior to the current Church?

I'm compiling my family history and would love a picture of the Church that my ancestors attended!

Many thanks.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Goathland Church
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline amanda0901

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 12 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, Carol

Many thanks for taking the time to reply; it's much appreciated.  Unfortunately, the church depicted is the "modern" one, built in 1896.  I'm looking for the one it replaced!

Thanks again
Amanda

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda...Having looked on Google...That church seems to be the only one that comes up  ::) maybe you could try the library.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Jokersdad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda - Im in Goathland every day - Im willing to pop inside and see if there are any photos or further pointers for you if you are still looking?

Hyatt, Hunt, Luce, Lewis, Foreman, Noble,
Leng, Burden, Bonnard, Butcher, Kennedy, McCully
Averay, Bond, Powell, Whittington, Kerslake, Stone, Buckland,
Wright, Pickering
Gloucestershire, Kent, North Yorkshire, Sussex, Worcestershire, West Yorkshire

Offline amanda0901

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 09:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you - that would be wonderful!

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 September 12 08:24 BST (UK) »
Is it possible Goathland was served by the church at Grosmont before the church that is in Goathland now?  This is a quote from the History and Antiquities of Cleveland.
"Owing to the difficulties occasioned by the circumstances of Grosmont being situated at the very extremity of the Parish of Whitby, and at this point were such parish joins the parishes of Lythe  and Pickering, and at the point were the the three chapelries of Eskdaleside, Egton and Goathland (each in different parishes) meet it has beeen decided that the proposed church should be built under the powers  of the 1 and 2 William IV"
So it seems that a church was planned at Grosmont to serve Goathland, Egton and Eskdale side in the reign of William IV , a church was lately erected at this spot  at the cost of £1100 raised by bazaar and voluntary contributions The prospectus being drawn up by Mr. Belcher of Whitby was issued in 1841."

James

Offline amanda0901

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 September 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, James.  It's very interesting as I have ancestors dotted all around the area and it would explain why some baptisms didn't occur where I thought they should have!

However, the amazing Jokersdad has tracked down a picture of the old Goathland Church, for which I am eternally grateful!!!