Author Topic: Aden - Army Regiments?  (Read 680 times)

Offline JeremyPWhitelam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aden - Army Regiments?
« on: Sunday 29 July 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the direction of which units served in Aden between 1954 and 1969?

I'm trying to trace a relative (Bob Smith of all names!) who served out there but I do not know which regiment. Only that he was from Notts and joined up shortly after leaving school.

Any help would be much appreciated as this is my personal brick wall ??? and it would mean a lot to me to find Bob :-) or maybe he was known as Smudger?

JPW

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aden - Army Regiments?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 12 22:41 BST (UK) »
Try here: http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Aden/units.html - I'm not an expert so don't know how accurate it is; however it does match with a former colleague's time there.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
Regiments with recruiting traditions along the Trent include 17/21st Lancers and also The Sherwood Foresters. If he wan't a infantry man or a Lancer he's a needle and you have a haystack.

Malcolm
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline sheldonesque

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
One possible route to research is to see if he was awarded the GSM, with one of the two South Arabia clasps. Both were awarded to Aden based troops for periods in the 50s and 60s.