Author Topic: marriage on Jersey  (Read 12589 times)

Offline Smary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: marriage on Jersey
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 August 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
Yet another query Yvonne Ellen Hayward supposedly married someone called Watts.  We can't find her on the English register - did she marry in Jersey??  She was born 1908 is that helps.

Offline mistral855

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 16:49 GMT (UK) »
aforementioned pair happen to be my parents (both sadly passed) I was adopted in 1958 and my dad then got posted to Singapore, . George was the only family member i knew and i did visit his house many time, on Bagot rd. My father did indeed remarry and in fact has a great 2nd marriage. I encourage anyone who knows more about my family to please get in touch....(*).............who are these sisters in Australia? Donald did have 1 brother, Clarence, who at some point owned a handbag/leather shop in town.
Andrew Grant

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi mistral - it is always fascinating to read the connections made here.

Your email address will be removed from your post -- it's against the rules (and unwise) to post that info on the boards. Once you have three posts here, you will be able to use the private messaging system (most importantly, others will be able to reach you that way). Just add two more posts to this thread saying something as simple as "Hello". ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline mistral855

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Sure, thanks for the warning. Do you happen to know the extent of birth/marriage online resources in Jersey. My friend and geneology sleuth Lucille almost lived at the old library searching records but sadly she passed

Offline mistral855

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 19:48 GMT (UK) »
So never pursued the family history. There are other family names i'd like to find out about...Meany?
My grandfather did have a blacksmith business at 10 Peter Street, now an interior design shop. I'd be interested to find out where the burial plots are of various family members...to continue

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Just go ahead and start a new thread in the relevant forum (this one, for Jersey) and ask away! Just always be sure to give all the info you have about a person or family, and make it as easy to read as possible.

I'm no Jersey sleuth myself (my gr-grfather had an older sister allegedly born in Jersey in the 1840s but that's the extent of my own connection). I only know a bit about using this resource:
http://search.jerseyheritage.org/search.aspx

(and then there are general resources as you saw in this thread like censuses and the London Gazette and so on)

Start your thread bout Meany or anybody else and those in the know will be on it!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
The best source for Jersey records is the site posted above by Janey, there are other sites but I would not recommend them.
Civil registration began in 1842 and the records can only be accessed locally, which is something I do all the time, so as suggested start your own thread (or send me a message now you have your 3 posts).

Offline Malaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi I am writing on behalf of my grandma as she cannot use the computer. My grandma is the the daughter of Yvonne Ellen Watts and Robert Gordon Watts, and the cousin of mistral855. She has been doing her family history for many years and could answer a lot of the questions you have. She would also welcome any contact to exchange information about family history.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 23 May 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome, Malaya!

If you post two more short things in this thread (you can say Hello and Thanks if you like ;) ), you will be able to use the private messaging system to speak with mistral855 (and you could exchange email addresses as well, for instance).