Author Topic: Hobbs to Hamilton, Ontario  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hobbs to Hamilton, Ontario
« on: Tuesday 24 May 05 21:08 BST (UK) »
Trying to find records of George & Louisa Ami Hobbs (nee Gascoyne).
Louisa (My Great Aunt) was born in Grafton Regis, Northamptonshire, England in 1879. Not sure when George was born.
My Aunt has letters from Louisa dated 1928 & 1935 from Hamilton, Ontario but does not know when they left England.
Any help in tracing them appreciated.
Dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline BarbR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbs to Hamilton, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 June 05 21:04 BST (UK) »
I looked on this site to see if they emmigrated 1925 -1935, there are a few George Hobbs but no Louisa.
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011802_e.html
I checked the 1901 census at automated genealogy, but not there either, probably too early.
Hope somone else can come up with a suggestion........ did you try the online Canadian phone book for possible descendants?

Barbara

P.S. I see you are researching Adams in Kent and Sussex.....I have some of those too!
Jarvis - Sussex, Pearson - Ulverston, Breaks - Westmorland, Clynick - Devon, Rowe - Devon, Thompson - Cumberland, Poyner - Scotland, Laidlaw - Edinburgh, Sawyer - Kent

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 June 05 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi BarbR

Thanks for looking for me. Louisa may have been known as Ann as well. Unfortunately, I do not know of any descendants so the phone book is not an option at the moment

The Adams I am looking for are rather elusive as my grandmother(Pretoria May Adams) & siblings supposedly spent time in an orphanage so it's all hit & miss but if I can help at all I'll try.

Dinie
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 June 05 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Dinie,

Here's a link to the Wentworth County Gen. Source Page which the City of Hamilton is located in:

http://www.hwcn.org/link/wengenweb/

This is a link to Waterdown-East Flamborough History Society.  They are located just outside Hamilton and have a great knowledge of Hamilton.   

http://www.wefhs.hamilton.ca/

Are there return addressess on the letters that were sent? 

You could have someone search the newspaper, The Hamilton Spectator is the big paper that's there.

There are only 16 Hobbs in Hamilton in the on-line phonebook. 

Good Luck
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 01:23 BST (UK) »
Dinie,

A while ago, I was trying to find out what happened to my grandfather's brother.  I wrote to all the funeral homes in Hamilton and most replied quickly; one had a record of my great-uncle.

Go to this website:

http://hamilton.701.com/sites/701/HTML/greaterhamilton/69402.html

Type the word funeral into the search box, click on "Funeral Homes" and one listing will show up.  Click on "Complete Business Listings Click Here" and more will appear. 

There might be other online listings of the funeral homes in Hamilton but this is how I did it.

P.S.  I went to:

http://ogs.andornot.com/OldFiles/CemeteryIndex.htm

and found listings for Louisa A. and George S. HOBBS at:

White Chapel Memorial Gardens
1895 Main Street West,
Hamilton, Ancaster Township, ON
CANADA
Phone:  1- 905-528-1128

I couldn't find a postal code.

Good luck.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hello

this is not the right name for the father but interesting -

Name: HOBBS, SYDNEY
Initials: S
Nationality: Canadian
Regiment: Canadian Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regiment)
Unit Text: 38th Bn.
Date of Death: 22/07/1918
Service No: 177169
Additional information: Son of Frederick Thomas and Louisa Hobbs, of 21, Hughson St. North, Hamilton, Ontario. Native of Chichester, England.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. D. 19.
Cemetery: ANZIN-ST. AUBIN BRITISH CEMETERY         

This is a link to his military enlistment papers
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc006/395006a.gif

Your Louisa is obviously too young to be his mother but it does indicate that there were 2 Louisa Hobbs in Hamilton in the early 1900's

Here is a list of funeral home records available for Hamilton and area
http://www.hpl.ca/LOCAL/SPCOLL/genea.shtml

Funeral Homes
Indexes of local funeral home records that were completed by the Hamilton Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society including:

Blachford & Wray Funeral Home (1851-1952 indexed) (1953-1974 not indexed)
We also own the original record.
Dodsworth & Brown Funeral Home (1897-1952 indexed)
Dwyer Funeral Home (1883-1952 indexed) microfilm of original record also available
Green-Guernsey Funeral Home (1928-1936 indexed)
J.B. Marlatt Funeral Homes (Dundas) (1926-1959 indexed)
J.B. Marlatt Funeral Homes (Hamilton) (1939-1952 indexed)
L.G. Wallace Funeral Home (1922-1952 indexed)
Markey-Dermody Funeral Homes (1923-1952 indexed)
Robinson Funeral Home (1898-1952 indexed)

There are also city directories archived here
City Directories
Hamilton directories from 1853 to the present
Suburban directories from 1957 to the present

Go to this site and you can request a look up of these resources from one of the volunteers listed for Hamilton (there are 3 listed)
http://raogk.com/ontario.htm
If you do use this site PLEASE only make one request for assistance for each family every two weeks - the admin try and avoid duplication of searches by volunteers.

This is the address for the Genealogy Collections listed above
Where we are:
Special Collections
3rd Floor
Central Library
55 York Blvd.
Hamilton, ON
CANADA

Good luck with your searches

ps you might find this site interesting if you find the names of any children who may have been in WW2 - just search on Hobbs

http://collections.civilisations.ca/warclip/pages/warclip/ResultsList.php
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for these leads. Hopefully they will help me trace these relatives.

Offline Canadian girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am in Hamilton Ontario Canada.   Even if the last letter was 70 years ago there might be some Hobbs left here in Hamilton that are related.  There are only 19 in the telephone book with this spelling (a few with different way).  If you can let me know I could some how get you the addresses and send a letter asking if anyone is related.  I have done that in the past to find family members out of town and usually find at least on lead :)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this kind offer.

I will have to ask my Aunt if she has any other information on the letters.

At the moment, the only details I have are in my original post on this topic, I do not know if they had any children either, so will try and find that as well.

If I do have anything useful, I will let you know.

Dinie