Author Topic: Bryntail lead mine  (Read 2838 times)

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bryntail lead mine
« on: Wednesday 01 August 12 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi does anyone know if there are records of persons injured or killed in Bryntail mine. My wife's relation William Parry of Llanidloes died in either 1882 or 1887 he was a lead miner and lived in Church La ,his wife was Mary .Have not been able to find where he was buried I have spoken to the cemetary superintendant at Dolhafren but there are no records of him or his wife being buried there.He may not have died in mine but possibly from industrial disease .Tried to find old local paper on line [Newtown Express] but no luck.
  Clwyd 2

Offline lifes too short

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bryntail lead mine
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 12:33 BST (UK) »
hi
My Gt Gt Gt grandfather William Breeze also worked at the Bryntail mines and lived in one of the Bryntail cottages. He died in 1868 although I can't find his death certificate in my records so am unable to confirm what was put on as reason for death although he was only 50 at the time. A few years back we went to Llanidloes and visited the local library which has quite a few family history books which listed births marriages and deaths. We found his cemetery transcription in the Bethel cemetery (which is main LLandiloes) which although in our case just was a one liner and brief description of the headstone other inscriptions are very detailed. We did enter the cemetery and whilst there were lots of gravestones we were unable to find ours as it was overgrown and we were trying to keep a low profile as it was technically shut !! So a call to the library or the Montgomery FHS could be the next option.

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks I take it that Bethel cemetary is the one in Church La I think a lot of the gravestones have been moved and put against the perimeter walls ,I'll have to look in my previous research I have come back to this after a 2 year break as I was getting fed up of hitting brick walls ,we live in Liverpool so it is a  long round trip to check churchyards. I have had a simliar problem with my family who come from Denbigh,I know the date of deaths all in Denbigh but am unable to trace where they are buried the church records appear to be missing
I have visited the cemetaries there but some inscriptions are unreadable.

Offline lifes too short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 12 14:08 BST (UK) »
Am now very confused. I can't remember the exact location but google map shows a graveyard next to a church in church st/place/lane but this is not the one I visited. The cemetery I went to was very small,very overgrown, and not open to the public without permission. It also had a high wall around it. In fact I don't even recall seeing a church but that is not to say it wasn,t there! So there must be two cemeteries in Llanidloes which might explain why we couldn,t find the grave. Sorry not much help but its been a long time since I went to Llanidloes due to the distance (live in Hertfordshire).

Offline lifes too short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 12 11:58 BST (UK) »
Having looked at my records I believe I visited the burial grounds which are in Cemetery square which is off the high street.