Author Topic: Confused: Gr. Grandmother maiden name either Wright or MacDougal/MacDougall  (Read 3969 times)

Offline lululisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm hoping that someone will be able to clear up the confusion surrounding my Great grandmother's maiden name. Her name is either Lizzie Wright or Lizzie MacDougal. According to my grandfather's birth certificate, she was born in Glasgow, Scotland and her maiden name was MacDougal. My grandparents' marriage certificate also says that her maiden name was MacDougall (2 Ls). However, according to Manitoba Vital Statistics, her maiden name at the time of her marriage, to my Gr. Grandfather Ralph Vipond, was Wright.
Here's the link: http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/DetailView.php

So, I'm not sure what to make of all this.
I've considered the fact that she may have been married before she married Ralph and that "Wright" might be her married name.
Also, here's more background information: She came to Canada with her sister Maggie. Maggie married a William Morgan (http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/DetailView.php).
Both Lizzie and Maggie came here to work as domestic servants. I believe they immigrated to Canada not long before Lizzie married Ralph.

Any help or suggestions about where to turn next would be greatly appreciated.
Cumberland: Atkinson, Sander, Vipond, Liddell
London/Lincolnshire: Sharp, Vasey

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confused: Gr. Grandmother maiden name either Wright or MacDougal/MacDougall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
Have you ordered the actual marriage cert to see what info it may have about her parents? As you can see from the detail view, there are spaces to enter parents' names in the record. No guarantees, of course, but the certs are not expensive and could help to clarify things for you.

Have you looked for a Wright death in the area prior to the marriage?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lululisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 12 21:58 BST (UK) »
I haven't ordered the marriage certificates yet. I guess I should do that. I hadn't thought of trying to search for a "Wright" death, but I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

The one thing that I'm still confused about is that both Lizzie's and Maggie's surname at the time of their marriages was "Wright". Is there any other reason that they would change their surname from MacDougall to Wright, other than marriage?

Thanks!

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
Well, they could have been born Wright, say, then their mother married a man called McDougall (or the other way round) and they also were known by their step-father's surname.   Or their parents may have been unmarried, so the girls were registered in their mother's name but knew their father and also used his name.

If you know Maggie and Lizzie's approx date of birth, you may be able to find them on Scotlands People, both under either Wright or McDougal(l).  I shouldn't worry about the exact spelling, many more people were unable to read and write in 19th century, so would just say their name and not know or check the spelling.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 12 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Your links wouldn't open for me and the Manitoba Vital Stats website isn't working at the moment so I didn't realize the ladies both married as Wright. Under these circumstances, I would echo the comments of alpinecottage, in addition to obtaining the cert(s).

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lululisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 00:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, the MB Vital Stats site is finicky.

I'm getting frustrated as I have tried to find info on Lizzie before to no avail.  I will order the marriage cert. and get back to everyone. In the meantime, if there are any other hints or advice anyone can give me, that would be great. Thanks again!  :D

Offline lucybella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 01:13 BST (UK) »
Just another thought because of something I came across on my own family tree.   Both women may have given their own mothers maiden name, so it may be worth checking out if their own mother was Wright before marraige. Some people misunderstood the question 'maiden name' and gave the maiden name of their mother, not their own maiden name..
 I came across this on a baptismal certificate, where the grandmothers surname was recorded instead of the mothers surname.
Rodgers/Rogers N Ireland and Australia
Myers  N Ireland
Rose Ann Daly N Ireland
McKissick  N Ireland and Scotland
Susanna Hall  Belfast N Ireland
Heaney and Dargan Co Down N Ireland
Rose Anne Savage Belfast 1904

Offline lululisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 03:57 BST (UK) »
LucyBella,

Thanks for the hint. Someone pointed me to a 1916 Manitoba census record that has Lizzie's year of immigration as 1907. So I am going to search through the passenger lists to try and find her and her sister Maggie. Hopefully I will find more information on her.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

In case you didn't notice ...

The 1916 census image posted on the other thread (edit - oops, posted this in the wrong thread) has a Maggie Morgan age 22 b. Scotland as a lodger in the next household to the Viponds. She has a year if immigration of 1913. She is listed as married but William isn't with her. Perhaps away working? I believe if he was in the CEF he would still be recorded in the household with an indication that he was in the services (there are other examples of this on the same page; there was a special column to record same).

PB