Author Topic: Peter Bowes born 1854 Glenealy  (Read 5533 times)

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Peter Bowes born 1854 Glenealy
« on: Tuesday 07 August 12 05:16 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor, Peter Bowes, whose army attestation papers in the UK say he was born in 1854 in Glenealy. Where would I look for a birth / baptism? I have done a search on rootsireland but nothing. The papers say he had family (brother John) in Ballycoppin but no such place exists; I think it might be Ballycapple?

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Bowes born 1854 Glenealy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 06:30 BST (UK) »
theres a Patrick Bowes in Ballynerrin in the griffiths valuation?

Griffiths Valuation Record Information

Tenant
Family Name 1 BOWES
Forename 1 PATRICK

Landlord
Family Name 2 CHAPMAN
Forename 2 JOHN

Barony NEWCASTLE
Union RATHDRUM
Parish RATHNEW
Townland BALLYNERRIN
Place Name BALLYNERRIN
Place Type TOWNLAND
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 09:40 BST (UK) »
Peter's birth was before the start of civil records, so you need to search for a baptism for him. Do you know what denomination your Bowes family were ?

Back in the 1830s Glenealy was in the RC parish of Wicklow (town), and this parish has records back to the mid 1700s. The Church of Ireland parish is Glenealy or Glenely, and it has records back to 1808. Transcripts for both these seem to be included on RootsIreland

Is the Glenealy notation on the record clear - is there a county mentioned ?

Rathnew civil parish is just north of Glenealy civil parish.

Do you have a marriage record for Peter ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
I don't appear to have anything on Peter or John Bowes but I did record a Headstone at Glenealy Cemetery for IGP Archives, which reads:

In | Loving Memory | of | MATTHEW BOWES | who died 9th April 1913 | aged 70 years | Erected by his cousins. | R.I.P.

If Matthew turns out to be a relative you will find a photo on the Website or just ask me for a copy.

Joy

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 August 12 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi www.ashfordparish.com  this site has an email address which may help with baptism records/marriage etc.
There is a tree on ancestry which gives Peter Bowes father as William.

Ref John bowes. b. c. 1854.

1901 Ireland census has the following info

JOHN BOWES. House 18 Killabeg(Killinure Wicklow) age 47 Carpenter
Wife Mary age 44, Son James age 16 Apprentice Carpenter, Daughter Mary Ellen age 11, Son Edward age 9

1911 Census:
John Bowes. Mary Bowes, James son 26, single Carpenter, Son Michael 24 Carpenter Single, Daughter Mary Ellen 22 Single No occupation.
John & Mary are married 31 years, 6 children born & 6 living. Hope this info helps :)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 August 12 01:24 BST (UK) »
The civil parish of Glenealy contained the following townlands.

•Ballinaclogh (Glenealy).
•Ballinacooley (Glenealy).
•Ballinteskin (Glenealy).
•Ballydowling (Glenealy).
•Ballyfree East (Glenealy).
•Ballyfree West (Glenealy).
•Ballykillavane (Glenealy).
•Ballyknockan Beg (Glenealy).
•Ballyknockan More (Glenealy).
•Ballymacsimon (Glenealy).
•Ballymanus Lower (Glenealy).
•Ballymanus Upper (Glenealy).
•Ballymerrigan (Glenealy).
•Ballymoat (Glenealy).
•Ballynabarny (Glenealy).
•Ballynagran (Glenealy).
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GuybrushThreepwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 September 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi scatchardfamily,
I've sent you a private message with my e-mail address as if Peter Bowes is your ancestor then we are related - he is my Great Great Grandfather. As of yet no one has found much on Peter's parents (some of us have been looking for years) but we know that his father was William and he had a brother called John. I have just this evening found what looks like a clue that might be able to give us some more info. Peter was in the Wicklow Militia before he joined the army and moved to england and there are some Dublin court records that say that a Peter Bowes of the right age didn't attend training for the Wicklow Militia in 1876 and give his last residence as Bridgefoot Street. There is an Irish Times article transcript on findmypast from 1878 for a John Bowes also resident in Bridgefoot Street. I wish i could get hold of the actual Irish Times article but can't seem to find the correct one down online.
All the best
Wayne