Author Topic: Locating place of farm in Whitford, in the present day  (Read 3560 times)

Offline shell2012

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandparents From Chester.
    • View Profile
Locating place of farm in Whitford, in the present day
« on: Thursday 09 August 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
I have visited Whitford today to try and locate the farm as stated on the 1841, 1851 & 1861 census's of my ancestors John and Anne Morris. On these census's the address varies from Whitford Garn, Garreg, to Waen Y Garreg, to 134 Waen Garreg.

So I ended up googling all these farms and it came up with Garreg Farm as down Fachallt Rd and showed me the exact position. I went down Fachallt rd, and asked a cyclist passing by, after showing him my paperwork. He said there was only one farm down that Fachallt road in Whitford, and one other farm as belonging to Lord Mostyn. So I went back up to the location he described for me to go to the same exact position as it had showed me on the google map. The farm had a sign outside of it saying, 'Fachallt'. I have googled as it is up for sale and it comes up as 'Fachallt Farm'.

I have checked the next page of census locations next to my census family and it looks like Fachalt at the bottom of the next following page on the census. I have googled O/S map of this area, and it shows Garreg Farm, then right next door to it, Fachallt.

I then re-goggled the above addresses as shown on my family census records and it shows three different farms accompanied with photo's as Waen Farm, Garreg Farm down Fachallt Rd, and another garreg farm by coed y garreg west of whitford. I am well confused by this point. I do not know which farm to choose from, as the one belonging to the one on my census record,as now all farms are now merging into one !

Can anyone make any sense of this or does anyone live in the vicinity and knows more about whose farm is who and what the farms mean in relation to my census record.  I did however find Whitford Parish. So least I found something that was easily recognisable !
Morris of Whitford Wales. Jones of Whitford Wales. Price of Stoke on Trent. Booth of Bury, Lancs. West of Stockport, Liverpool and Ireland. Beresford & Thompson of Chester.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Locating place of farm in Whitford, in the present day
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 August 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Here is where you are looking for;
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0pom/

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shell2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 August 12 20:43 BST (UK) »
Dammn, I was one road away !!!! I went down the wrong road I cant believe it.....as Victor Meldrew would say....dammn.

Better text my Father and tell him.....
Morris of Whitford Wales. Jones of Whitford Wales. Price of Stoke on Trent. Booth of Bury, Lancs. West of Stockport, Liverpool and Ireland. Beresford & Thompson of Chester.

Offline shell2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 August 12 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you William, I obviously was looking at too many trees today, but an excellent day out in all.......back in 2 weeks for a further look at the right farm this time ;)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 August 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
Yes its so maddening and frustrating sometimes!We must be masochists for coming back,again and again!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shell2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 August 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Just thought I'd update you that I have been able to find out the home number of the farm without using 192 and spoke with the present owner who is not a relation of the original census household. However I can show my father where his ancestors lived and hopefully they'll have some old photo's of the place to show us as they have lived there 44 years. That is good enough for me at the stage, its one step closer to my goal and my ancestors probably live somewhere like Liverpool around the corner from me, but we'll see there maybe some still left there .....I can put a notice on the Village board when I am there to enquire.

Thank you for the map which made so much more sense than what I was looking at.

Regards,
Michelle

Offline shell2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Locating place of farm in Whitford, in the present day Completed
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 January 13 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I have visited Whitford today to try and locate the farm as stated on the 1841, 1851 & 1861 census's of my ancestors John and Anne Morris. On these census's the address varies from Whitford Garn, Garreg, to Waen Y Garreg, to 134 Waen Garreg.

So I ended up googling all these farms and it came up with Garreg Farm as down Fachallt Rd and showed me the exact position. I went down Fachallt rd, and asked a cyclist passing by, after showing him my paperwork. He said there was only one farm down that Fachallt road in Whitford, and one other farm as belonging to Lord Mostyn. So I went back up to the location he described for me to go to the same exact position as it had showed me on the google map. The farm had a sign outside of it saying, 'Fachallt'. I have googled as it is up for sale and it comes up as 'Fachallt Farm'.

I have checked the next page of census locations next to my census family and it looks like Fachalt at the bottom of the next following page on the census. I have googled O/S map of this area, and it shows Garreg Farm, then right next door to it, Fachallt.

I then re-goggled the above addresses as shown on my family census records and it shows three different farms accompanied with photo's as Waen Farm, Garreg Farm down Fachallt Rd, and another garreg farm by coed y garreg west of whitford. I am well confused by this point. I do not know which farm to choose from, as the one belonging to the one on my census record,as now all farms are now merging into one !

Can anyone make any sense of this or does anyone live in the vicinity and knows more about whose farm is who and what the farms mean in relation to my census record.  I did however find Whitford Parish. So least I found something that was easily recognisable !