Author Topic: The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary West Stockwith  (Read 6778 times)

Offline nigelcc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary West Stockwith
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 June 13 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevinshouse,

My great grandmother was Maria Flower married to Thomas Redfern. She had a son Samuel Flower before having numerous baby Redferns. Thomas & Maria had a grocers/butchers in West Stockwith. If I can be of anymore help please get back to me. Jane
Hi
My wife,s family are also related to Thomas and Maria.  Redferns had a shop at the top of Carr Lane. My aunt can remember the shop in the 1920,s. There was a much older Chapel in West Sockwith. I believe it was built in 1334. It came under the Dean and Chapter of York. Permission was given by the Bishop of York that mass could be held in the newly built Chapel. It was still standing in 1559. It may have been demolished during the Civil War. It was situated were the aegir flats are now on Ferry Landing

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 June 13 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

The church at West Stockwith is relatively young (I think 1860s), so any earlier records would be found in Misterton parish church.

Baptisms and marriages at West Stockwith are on microfiche at the Nottinghamshire Archives. Some records have been indexed by the Notts FHS. You may find these baptisms of interest:

West Stockwith St Mary baptisms
04 Sep 1891 - Gertrude dau of Frederick John & Emma FLOWER, Labourer
15 Mar 1899 - Edith Gertrude dau of Jesse & Mary Elizabeth FLOWER, Grocer, born 12 Feb 1899

Alexander

There is also
18-10-1899 Eric son of Anna Maria Flower.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline PennyvdB1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 September 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
you might find this website useful. If my research is correct I have FARR in my Tree
Ann Farr (1808 - 1879) is my 3rd great grandmother

▽ Elizabeth Pitchfork (1837 - 1872) daughter of Ann Farr

▽Hannah Jackson (1870 - 1935) daughter of Elizabeth Pitchfork

▽ Ethel Hannah Cox (1894 - 1972) daughter of Hannah Jackson

▽ Donald Edgar Beech (1923 - 1995) son of Ethel Hannah Cox

▽ Penelope Betty Beech ME

Offline JoannaK

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 March 19 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am a great great granddaughter of Maria Flower and Thomas Redfern and I'm looking into my Redfern family tree. I have read about Samuel Flower in this thread and it would be great if anyone could provide me with a little more information on him please? Like his place and date of birth? I know Maria and Thomas had several children, but I would love to know a little more about Samuel.

Many thanks in advance.