Author Topic: South Wales Evening Post  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ask now! Tomorrow might be too late....
    • View Profile
South Wales Evening Post
« on: Friday 10 August 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea if the Evening Post is searchable for Birth/Marriage/Death notices? Or is it a case of trawling through the microfilms at the Civic Centre for an unknown date in a known year?!?

Thanks.
Northants - Stevenson, Smith, Spriggs, Hight, Dodson, Coleman
Swansea - Thomas, Williams, Howell, David, Rees, Griffiths, Jenkins, Bevan
Rutland - Hales
Derbyshire - Harlow, Riley, Pemberton, Aldred
Yorkshire - Stamper, Boyes, Duke
London - Harper, Wallis
Essex - Shelford, Wallis, Read, Stanes
Hertfordshire - Bishop
Cornwall - Johns, Soper, Rowe, Ball, Webb, Dunn, Quintrell, Hain, Oliver
Gloucestershire - Harper, Ash, Gregory, Denman
County Durham - Proud, Duke
Yorkshire - Stamper, Pickering

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Wales Evening Post
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 12 23:37 BST (UK) »
Pretty certain it is not indexed. The Cambrian is, though only up to about 1900 I think.

So likely to be a trawl, I'm afraid unless you are talking about the last few(?) years when deaths may show up on a Google search - look at the thisissouthwales website though I assume you are looking way back so no joy probable.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 12 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard.

I want to do a few things, the death of my great grandfather in 1958 and his wife in 1963. Also, my grandfather was mentioned in despatches at some point during North Africa for giving a blood transfusion under enemy fire (we think). Can't find anything with a search of the London Gazette, so wondered if it would have made the Evening Post maybe 1941-3 ish?

David.
Rutland - Hales
London - Harper, Wallis
Hertfordshire - Bishop

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 12 15:37 BST (UK) »
At least you have the years for the deaths although searching a whole year is not good for the eyes or neck -  but you're younger than me it might not be as bad.  ::)

If there's a possibility the deaths were in the Western Mail you can search the death index reels at the library first.

The other search would be difficult if you have a three year span though.  :-\
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 12 16:59 BST (UK) »
I think i remember reading about some regimental war diaries being available online. If you know his regiment you could try a google search or the national archives. Would think an act like that would get a mention. May help you narrow down date for a newspaper search.
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 12 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard.
I want to do a few things, the death of my great grandfather in 1958 and his wife in 1963. Also, my grandfather was mentioned in despatches at some point during North Africa for giving a blood transfusion under enemy fire (we think). Can't find anything with a search of the London Gazette, so wondered if it would have made the Evening Post maybe 1941-3 ish?
David.

Hi David,

Another route would be to obtain your Grandfather's Army Service Record, - if he was Army that is? (That would show why he was mentioned in despatches).

See:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0pqv/

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 12 23:34 BST (UK) »
As far as I know the only war diaries that are online are World War I rather than II.

Service record is a good suggestion. If you know his army/medical unit does it have a published history? Might mention a MID. 

Other than that it may well be a hard slog through the films. As Bev said, can be done but hard work for a three year run with no guarantee of success.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 12 11:38 BST (UK) »

Hi Again David,

Another place you could try is the British Newspaper Archives.

They were previously held at Collingdale in North London, but have now been digitalised. Its a 'pay to view' Site, but if you register you get some free Look-ups. I'm not sure what dates it covers, - but might be worth a try?

See:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 12 12:01 BST (UK) »
At least you have the years for the deaths although searching a whole year is not good for the eyes or neck -  but you're younger than me it might not be as bad.  ::)

Its those stools that are the problem. Id rather sit on nettles on top of rocks!
Rutland - Hales
London - Harper, Wallis
Hertfordshire - Bishop