Author Topic: Miss Tenn? Fenn? Lenn? of Folkestone Kent  (Read 16544 times)

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Miss Tenn? Fenn? Lenn? of Folkestone Kent
« on: Saturday 11 August 12 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hello I have found a postcard among papers that was sent in 1929 as a birthday greeting to a Miss Tenn..or Fenn...or Lenn...the old writing is difficult to read.
It looks most like Tenn to me though.
It was sent to 31 Cheretow? (I think) Gardens Folkestone,Kent and expressed birthday greetings from "Mary".
As I am in Australia I am wondering if anything on the Tenn..Fenn..Lenn  (it is one of those names) family can be provided.
The post card has 2 halfpenny stamps on it and was posted on the 11th Feb 1929.
Many Thanks
Kasden

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Tenn? Fenn? Lenn? of Folkestone Kent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 12 07:53 BST (UK) »
I think the address would be Cheriton Gardens. ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 12 07:54 BST (UK) »
I thinkyour best bet wouldbeto post the image on the deciphering board (or even here)- otherwise it would be purely guesswork as to what the correct surname is.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 12 08:05 BST (UK) »
Penn, Senn and Lenn are all 'proper' surnames, as is Senn. The capital S and L can be easily confused. Of course there is also a T ..... Which can be confused with an L or an S .... ;)

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 12 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip on the Address...yes it does look like Cheriton Gardens now that you mention it ...it sure helps if you know the locality like a native :D..being in Australia I don't have that advantage.
The rest of the address is quite legible and so it reads 31 Cheriton Gardens,Folkestone,Kent.
The name however is Tenn as far as I can ascertain, as Ive compared how the Mary who sent it has written her L,s clearly in the message and they look  quite different to the recipients surname letter.
Wish the christian name of the recipient had been included..but seeing as the front of the postcard birthday greeting depicts a little girl of about 8 yrs on a decorative bridge with white doves"and some Gold writing saying Many Happy Returns, I would hazard a guess that the recipient may have been a child herself.
The message reads "Many Many of them,Lots of Love from Mary
I was hoping to solve this little family puzzle....
Cheers Kasden

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 12 11:58 BST (UK) »
There doesn't appear to be anyone with the surname Tenn living in Folkestone in the 1911 census (which, although not very close time wise, is the closest we can get)  :-\

Can I just confirm something? The card is addressed to "Miss Tenn", but how does Mary, the sender of the card address Miss Tenn? Doesn't she begin the letter with "Dear X"? Seems odd as she informally signs her name "Mary" ....  :-\

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 12 12:14 BST (UK) »
I have located Cheriton Gardens (or part of it) in the 1911 census. I have seen Numbers 29 and 35, but not Number 31. Someone who is a better searcher may be able to locate it for you. I cannot see a surname anything like Tenn there though. It appears very well to do with many servants in some residences and many rooms. It is possible that Miss Tenn was a servant I suppose, and also possible that there may have been more homes built in the street between 1911 and 1929 (At the time of WW1? Not sure, maybe post war homes?).

Oooh yes, I have just had a look via google streetview ... very nice.  :) It would have been a very prestigous road in 1929.

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 August 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again everyone..and thanks so much for the interest...the sender of the postcard,Mary, does not address the recipient by any name at all...she simply writes this message "many many of them,Lots of Love from Mary"
The card is addressed "Miss Tenn
31 Cheriton Gardens
Folkestone Kent"

as I mentioned before it may have been sent to a child because the front of the card has a little printed verse in gold writing that says "May happiness bright
be yours today,like a star at night,shine oér your way with unclouded light"
there is a little girl in the picture standing on a decorative wooden bridge with a bouquet of flowers in her arms and scattered at her feet,along with 5 white doves.
She is dressed beautifully with large ringlets and a big satin bow.
So maybe Miss Tenn was a child of a well to do couple?
I really do hope that this mystery has an answer.
Kasden
P.S The card was posted on the 11th Feb 1929 at Folkestone Kent and from the mature hand writing it was sent by an adult

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
I've had a look for Tenn, Lenn, Fenn, Jenn etc births in the first quarter of the year from 1918 to 1928, but there's nothing jumping out for births in Kent.

I think you should post an image of the name and address on the Photograph board under the Deciphering section to see if we can have a better guess at the name.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex