Author Topic: Miss Tenn? Fenn? Lenn? of Folkestone Kent  (Read 16542 times)

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Tenn? Fenn? Lenn? of Folkestone Kent
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 00:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peneli...as stated before me, this has turned out to be a fascinating look at a very interesting lady and her life....there is,I feel, more to Miss Ada Constance Fenn.
How very bizarre it seems to me to be in possession of her postcard from Mary all the way over here in Australia..what a story it could tell !
Thanks everyone for your interest and help with this query..it brings Ada to life so to speak..I wonder what she'd make of us poking around  :)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 09:00 BST (UK) »

Re the 1929 Electoral register

Death in 1931
Probate says

Blessley Mary Ann of 86 Bouverie Road, West Folkestone, Widow, died 5.12.1931.  Probate to Robert Walter Hollyer Blessley, gentleman, £7011.

However I am wondering if this is the Mary of the card, as she is evidently an older lady and I cannot quite see that she would give her first name on the card - this is after all the days when all the neighbours were Aunt and Uncle, if not Mrs or Mr someone.

Her husband, if it is he, mentioned in the 1929 electoral register, apparently died before 1931.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 09:05 BST (UK) »
Oh forget that, a red herring I think

William Henry Blessley of 31 Cheriton Gdns Folkestone appears on the Probate records as dying 25th June 1936, with estate to Georgie Christiana Mary Horstmann, widow. £35k

I can't do any more research on these people just at the moment.  Not sure how they are connected with Ada!
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Peneli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 11:43 BST (UK) »
It is odd, isn't it? With that amount at probate, unlikely to be servants. (But if servants, first name would be understood. Both a good friend and I have stories of relations in service being given alternative names to their baptismal ones as the employers felt those names to be au dessus de sa gare (ghastly Franglais pun probably not appreciated in the Amities Francaises, which I now suspect to have been a purely local group), and the names given were, in both cases, Mary. Obviously not Catholics.) I think I might have to go back and access the electoral rolls backwards to see when Miss Fenn (I really don't feel comfortable with Ada) arrived at 31, and when the Blessleys turned up. I suppose one possibility is that they were the people she was in France with.
Hang on, probably no use with regard to Miss Fenn as she would not have been eligible for the roll before 1929, because she would not have been old enough. She would have been going to become eligible by virtue of age in the same year that she would have become eligible younger by law. I wonder if the card is a reference to that coming of full citizenship in a jokey way, if references had been made in the household. Picture of a little girl being code for not being a little girl politically any more. (I personally would have felt rather cheated by that - I did, by the changes from 21 to 18, which meant I only had one vote before the younger people did without waiting.)
Would it be a good idea to access forwards as well, to get the war years? The rolls are a bit of a pain - the more recent ones have street indices as to which section to look in, the earlier ones do not, and they keep changing the area codes, so having found it once, there's no use using the same code in another book. I hope the librarians will let me get them out of the cupboards myself, so as not to bother them too much.

Odd Mary Ann Blessley being at a different address for probate with William still at 31 Cheriton Gardens. Presumably a nursing home wouldn't be given as the address for probate, would it? It's just round the corner, anyway. And they obviously aren't husband and wife.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 12:44 BST (UK) »
William Henry Blessley, born 1841 in Middlesex, was an Architect.

Still tracking him down to find out when he got to Cheriton Gardens. 
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 12:49 BST (UK) »
William Henry was married to Susanna, who was 15 years older than he was.  No children, travelled widely, in 1911 in Brighton, just the two of them.

I think the lady to whom he left his money may be a niece or some such as one of his sisters was called Georgiana
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 12:59 BST (UK) »
And the Mary Ann Blessley of 1929 is William Henry's sister in law, widow of his brother Robert Knott Blessley.  The Robert Holyer Blessley she left her money to is her son.

Still no clearer how they ended up in Folkestone with the Fenn family.  All were in Brighton in 1911
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Peneli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 18:08 BST (UK) »
Posted something obviously inaccurate. I googled, and found somebody has posted information about a William Henry Blessley with a father William, and a mother nee Mary Ann Pine on Ancestry.com. I suppose it isn't impossible for the brother to have found a wife with the same name as his mother.

Robert Knott was also an architect, practising in London, and then Sussex. He did the Grand Hotel in Eastbourne. There's a William Henry in Middlesborough in 1868. Both did church architecture, plans available. I can't find William Henry practising in Folkestone or Brighton.

Thought I had a brilliant idea of searching on French google, in French. Mais non, rien.

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
I can only sit and watch in fascinated admiration !!!....soon enough I think that all there is to know about Miss Fenn and her friend the mysterious Mary will be revealed...I should think that the postcard is a birthday greeting undoubtabley..it wishes her 'many many more'..and is written in a lovely handwriting.