Author Topic: commemorative BMD certificate service  (Read 3638 times)

Offline bloogy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching the history of marriage in the UK
    • View Profile
commemorative BMD certificate service
« on: Monday 13 August 12 12:25 BST (UK) »
im thinking of offering commemorative BMD certificates as a service. I would make it clear that they are commemorative ONLY and not for official use, as well as link to the official ones on the GRO site. They would be very elegant, on coloured card with floral, decorative surrounds and the details entered in calligraphic writing.

I would love peoples opinions and I have two questions, but all comments would be welcome.

1) is there much call for these?
2) how pretty are official certificates? are they b & w and boring? or good enough to frame?

thanks in advance

tom

wilkinson - yorkshire
mcqueen - anywhere

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: commemorative BMD certificate service
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 August 12 13:29 BST (UK) »
Why would we want to pay through the nose fees for certificates they are dear enough from GRO
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
It is extremely worrying that you are contemplating offering such certificates without seemingly knowing what an official certificate looks like.

How do you intend to obtain the information to enter on your certificate?  Presumably you will need to purchase an official certificate.  How do you gaurantee that you have the correct certificate?  What experience do you have of reading old handwriting so that your information is correct?

What advantage do your certificates have over for example marriage certificates from the local registry office that can contain the original signatures of the people involved?

What sort of price do you envisage?
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

A quick google shows that a number of Local Register offices already offer a commemorative certificate service, and the GRO offers commemorative marriage certificates for 25th, 40th, 50th and 60th wedding anniversaries.

Andy

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 August 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
Tom, Am I correct in thinking that people would come to you with a particular certificate (be it their child's birth, their grandparent's marriage etc etc) and you would basically set out the information it contains in a decorative way in order that it can be framed?

(I think this is not David's interpretation of your idea  ;))

Can you please clarify.

I would advise you to have a look at some certificates so you can see for yourself how they look (google should bring some examples up for you).

I think you might get some interested parties - would these certificates be hand drawn or would you use some kind of computer package? I think with the availability of these things today, that it would not be beyond the ability of many people to produce something half decent themselves using some free art or graphics software.

Offline baggygenes

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 August 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
This is a link to what the GRO offers for commemorative certificates
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_176276.pdf

Actually I think its a nice idea - would make a great christening / wedding / anniversary / birthday present etc but I do agree that there are a lot of computer packages out there that a person could really design and make up their own so in my opinion it would really have to be handmade and very special
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 August 12 14:26 BST (UK) »

2) how pretty are official certificates? are they b & w and boring? or good enough to frame?

Hi Tom  :)

Your profile shows a link to your website which contains a wealth of information about marriage certificates - surely you've also seen one?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 August 12 14:28 BST (UK) »
When I married last year, Chester Register Office offered just this service!

I'm sure they aren't the only RO offering this.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bloogy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching the history of marriage in the UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 August 12 14:47 BST (UK) »
It is extremely worrying that you are contemplating offering such certificates without seemingly knowing what an official certificate looks like.

How do you intend to obtain the information to enter on your certificate?  Presumably you will need to purchase an official certificate.  How do you gaurantee that you have the correct certificate?  What experience do you have of reading old handwriting so that your information is correct?

What advantage do your certificates have over for example marriage certificates from the local registry office that can contain the original signatures of the people involved?

What sort of price do you envisage?

im familiar with the layout of a marriage certificate, but I dont know whether the copy ones from the GRO look the same, are in colour, or whether the ones ordered from register offices look any different. is there a standard design?

Tom, Am I correct in thinking that people would come to you with a particular certificate (be it their child's birth, their grandparent's marriage etc etc) and you would basically set out the information it contains in a decorative way in order that it can be framed?

(I think this is not David's interpretation of your idea  ;))

Can you please clarify.

is behindthefrogs David?

I haven't got that far actually! I just have an interest in marriage and its history, and along with that am quite artistic. So it came into my head to try and put that to use. Now you and behindthefrogs have given me a dilemma.

so, if im correct, I can do these certificates one of two ways:

a) ask for all relevant details, and just copy them over then post it off. cheap, easy, but they have to know the details themselves, and they could also do something as good if they put a bit of time into it.

b) order an official one, then use those details to copy across. a lot more expensive but easier for them.

do you or anyone else have any opinions on these methods?

I see several register offices offer such a service but not all. and the GRO one is £23. so perhaps if I can come in substantially below this it might be a good offer?
wilkinson - yorkshire
mcqueen - anywhere