Author Topic: West Lothian Constabulary & Edinburgh Police Force....records of officers??  (Read 745 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Hello All,

I have recently discovered that my ggg grandfather served for a time with the West Lothian Constabulary and in the Police Force of Edinburgh....does anyone know if there are records I can look up to find out when he served, record of his application/appointment etc.

His name was James Rutherford (b 1836/37 Latheron, Caithness)

He would have served in the late 1850's early 1860's, before he married in 1863.

Any assistance to point me in the right direction would be great...I am quite curious about his part of his life  ;)

Also if there are records one can search I would love to get some details on his two cousins - Thomas Rutherford Sutherland (b 1848 Berriedale, Caithness) and Adam Wood Rutherford (b 1852 Berriedale, Caithness) who were also recorded in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census returns as Police Constables in Edinburgh.

Thanks in advance :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill