Author Topic: Launceston Railway Refreshment Rooms  (Read 937 times)

Offline vhowie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Launceston Railway Refreshment Rooms
« on: Tuesday 21 August 12 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find some historical information regarding Launceston Railway Refreshment Rooms.

My husbands ancestor was Robert Charles Howard and he is mentioned in several newspapers in Trove. R C Howard Railway refreshment rooms.Launceston.

He was a mariner from Great Yarmouth. He married an Annie Crawford and for some time were residing in Launceston where he was a Railway Porter.

The period of time he was residing in Launceston appears to be from 1868 to to 1882approx. He passed away in South Melbourne Victoria 1890.

I am also trying to trace the burial place for his daughter Annie Howard who died 16/12/1886 in Launceston Hospital. Undertaker Jane Dollan.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Lee Atkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Launceston Railway Refreshment Rooms
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 12 05:27 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted the Queen Victoria Museum in Launceston? The museum in Inveresk is located in the old railway workshops and they may hold records relating to the railway station.
I checked the records I have for the CofE burial ground Aka Cypress St. but no Annie Howard and the General Cemetery Charles St. no luck. Some of the burial records haven't survived, and the records I have consulted were compiled from headstones inscriptions and a card index which records details of burials at Cypress St. if they were CofE you could check the church burial registers.
If you know her religion that would help identify the likely cemetery. Unfortunately most of the early cemeteries in Launceston no longer exist.

regards Lee-Ann

Offline Tabster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Launceston Railway Refreshment Rooms
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 21 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Annie Howard was buried in the Cypress Street Cemetery.
She is buried in Section A in Crawford's ground.
Cheers
Dianne