Author Topic: Fermanagh Business Directories Lookup  (Read 2344 times)

Offline kat0624

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fermanagh Business Directories Lookup
« on: Tuesday 21 August 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hello!  Would it be possible to do a lookup for any directories 1880 and prior for James Smith, a shoemaker?  Also, if it looks like they are connected to the Wilson family, I would greatly appreciate any info!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fermanagh Business Directories Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 20:23 BST (UK) »
He is not listed in the 1880 street directory on the PRONI site.

I saw from a post on another forum that James Smith possibly came from Boho which is a largish island in Lough Erne. If so, I’d doubt somehow he’s going to be in any trade or business directory.

Boho is in two parishes -  One is Templecarn and the other Drumkeeran. If you know the family’s denomination you might want to search any surviving church records for those two parishes.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 20:29 BST (UK) »
There are links to lots of Fermanagh directories under Fermanagh Resources at the top of this board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,457812.0.html

Directories will list tradesmen in cities and towns but seldom those in rural areas.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kat0624

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for responding so quickly!  This is a line that I have had difficulty with and I was just able to locate his birth place.  I originally thought he was from Scotland, where he died, but I was lucky enough to have received help from someone who located their military record which indicated "Boe, Fermanagh, Ireland".  I knew his father was a shoemaker from a Scottish census record.  I am much more familiar with the layout of the parishes, etc. in Antrim and Down.  This is the first ancestor that I know about to be from here and the geography has me a little confused.  I know he is protestant, so I will start calling the churches to see if they have any records.  Thanks again!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 22:19 BST (UK) »
Not all churches will have telephones or someone to answer queries. Have you looked at the section on Fermanagh church records at the top of this board?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=366887.msg2560357#msg2560357
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!