Author Topic: Toman family help  (Read 7181 times)

Offline rachellowe88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Toman family help
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 August 12 16:45 BST (UK) »
hi thanks for your reply Padraig3   in answer to your latest post

i have had a look at the bernard toman and the felix toman to a felix toman born of the same father and mother a margaret.  Only problem with that is the name that is written on the marriage certificate is Rose ( i know no other name for his wife) and also the years they were born in this searches is to late. The birth year range  for john toman is between 1827 upto 1835 ( as his birth year varies on census/marriage and death records)

with the licensed victualer  occupation of john toman. He wasnt always a licensed victualer when he lived in ireland he was a tailor and when he came over to liverpool he became a licensed victualer.

i dont think there is a connection with the bernard .

i do know that felix must be the right name for john tomans father as john toman had a sone called felix who died as a infant. And felix isnt a name i would of thought people would normally choose as a child name. only this would have been chosen if the name was in the family before.

below is a census search done for 1881 census and it is for the john toman in ireland other relatives of the tomans.

relation      Mary Mc Conville   F   63    Ireland
relation       Sarah A Quinn   F   73    Ireland

although i don't  know what relation they are to the tomans if they are relatives from the cunninghams or the tomans.

* Moderator Note: cut & paste LDS census details removed in accordance with Rootschat policy.

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 August 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
 Hi Rachel,

Have checked RD site for possible Tonam/McConville/Quinn connection without results.

There is an email contact on the site which is still being updated, so is current,
so nothing ventured nothing gained.

Offline rachellowe88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
just an update on info
thanks to the Irish name tradition sent by Padraig3   i have looked at the information i do have and believe that the Irish naming tradition was used by john toman . as john toman named his son felix toman (First son after father's father) and felix was john toman's father so i would be thinking that felix's father was named john Toman.

thanks again for all your help so far

Offline maureen kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 October 13 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi my Tomans are from Loughinisland Co Down we have a Felix married Mary with a son John there are at least another 5 children in this family

Offline daves123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
This is an old thread and is unlikely to receive a reply at this point, I know, and I'm sorry to say I don't have direct info on the original request. Instead, I'll be one of those people that joins on to ask a related question because info is sparse. But it might be somewhat related...

I'm looking for more information about a James Toman (b 1823 in Ireland according to Scottish records) that moved to Ayreshire, Scotland. He was married to Elizabeth Cunningham (also possibly of Ireland, though uncertain). They had 7 children in Scotland, and the names are sure to be familial: John, Francies/Francis, Elizabeth, James, Catherine, Euphemia and Felix (b 1861). I've been unable to find out if/when they emigrated from Ireland to Scotland, or if, in fact, they were from Co. Down - though it seems likely given the geography etc.

I've also found reference to a Mary Toman, b 1789 in Ireland in the 1871 Scotland Census (and nowhere else yet from the Scotland side), but have no idea what relation she is to James Toman, above.

Offline daves123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
With the help of an outside researcher in Scotland, I was able to definitively find the following regarding my question in the post above:

In 1855 in Scotland:

James Toman was age 28 and a miner. Born Lochenisle, Downpatrick, Ireland. He married Elizabeth Cunningham in Ayr in 1850 and had 3 boys living in 1855 and 4 children by former marriage. James could not write.

Elizabeth Cunningham was 29 born County Down, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
With the help of an outside researcher in Scotland, I was able to definitively find the following regarding my question in the post above:

In 1855 in Scotland:

James Toman was age 28 and a miner. Born Lochenisle, Downpatrick, Ireland. He married Elizabeth Cunningham in Ayr in 1850 and had 3 boys living in 1855 and 4 children by former marriage. James could not write.

Elizabeth Cunningham was 29 born County Down, Ireland

I suspect James' birthplace would have been Loughanisland Civil Parish- just put Toman in as 'family name' and see how many as head of household in Griffith's-
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

If they were Catholic- Loughanisland is also the name of an R.C. Parish- not surehow legible the registers are but they start early 1800s!
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0435
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!