Author Topic: Is this a possible twin or a mistake in GRO index?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Is this a possible twin or a mistake in GRO index?
« on: Sunday 26 August 12 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I already have my grandfathers birth certificate but I just noticed on FreeBMD there is another birth in the same quarter and wondered if he could have been a twin. The birth certificate has no time or other indication that he might have been a twin. What does it mean if the reference number is followed by an a? This is from Sept 1885 births

Horley  Harry    Woburn  3b 368   
Horley  Martha Elizabeth     Woburn  3b 368a

Looking under 368a there are two entries as follows

Ellis  Martha Elizabeth    Woburn  3b 368a   
Horley  Martha Elizabeth     Woburn  3b 368a   

I've looked at both images and Martha Elizabeth is listed under both Ellis and Horley. I'm thinking this is more likely to be an error of some sort as nobody in the family remembers Harry having a twin. Do you agree that it's likely to be a mistake? I don't really want to risk buying the certificate in case it is wrong.

Would be grateful for your opinions

Thanks
Lyla

LONDON: Flewers/Fluers, Pullen, Leary, Griffiths, Wood, Mitchell. HERTS: Barker, Bates, Dickens, Hutchins, Slater, King, Kent, Overill, Peters. BEDS/BUCKS: Whitbread, Horley, Seabrook, Horn(e), Jenkins, Woodward. BERKS/HAMPS: Gibson, Tigg, Boames, Parker SUFFOLK: Mason, Mott, Suttle, Twitchett, Everard, Feveryar, Riches, Clarke, Harper, Potter, Brinkley. BRISTOL: Mitchell, Pullen. CLACKMANNANSHIRE/FIFE, Keir, Sym(e), Watson, GLASGOW/IRELAND: Collins, Brown, Paterson. IRELAND: Leary, Collins

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a possible twin or a mistake in GRO index?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 12 15:35 BST (UK) »
The reason for the "a" reference is often (but not always) that the birth was added to the GRO records after the quarter's data had been assembled and indexed.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 12 15:41 BST (UK) »
Martha Elizabeth Horley, age 5,  appears in the 1891 Census RG12; Piece: 1263; Folio: 42; Page: 7

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
Interesting. So she really is a Horley and not an Ellis. Would you be able to tell me the rest of the family in 1891? Sounds like she must be a cousin to Harry.

Thanks
Lyla
LONDON: Flewers/Fluers, Pullen, Leary, Griffiths, Wood, Mitchell. HERTS: Barker, Bates, Dickens, Hutchins, Slater, King, Kent, Overill, Peters. BEDS/BUCKS: Whitbread, Horley, Seabrook, Horn(e), Jenkins, Woodward. BERKS/HAMPS: Gibson, Tigg, Boames, Parker SUFFOLK: Mason, Mott, Suttle, Twitchett, Everard, Feveryar, Riches, Clarke, Harper, Potter, Brinkley. BRISTOL: Mitchell, Pullen. CLACKMANNANSHIRE/FIFE, Keir, Sym(e), Watson, GLASGOW/IRELAND: Collins, Brown, Paterson. IRELAND: Leary, Collins

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 12 15:56 BST (UK) »
As she is indexed under two different surnames it suggests that the registrar was or became aware that the parents did not have the same surname. It could be the case that the parents were not married (to each other) at the time & the registrar became aware of this.

Interesting. So she really is a Horley and not an Ellis. Would you be able to tell me the rest of the family in 1891? Sounds like she must be a cousin to Harry.

Thanks
Lyla

The surname used on the census was not legal proof - just that used at the time. I've seen children from the mother's previous marriage listed on the census under the stepfather's name, though they later marry under their own father's name.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
Martha Elizabeth Horley, age 5,  appears in the 1891 Census RG12; Piece: 1263; Folio: 42; Page: 7

Stan

This marriage relates to the couple on this census
September qtr 1879      
ELLIS    Emily            
HORLEY    William Edward A       
St. Geo. H. Sq.    1a   793

William was previously married in December qtr 1867 Woburn reg district 3b 902 -possible wives Ann Coles or Alice Ellis.  1871 census gives his wife as Alice.
Possible death
June qtr 1878 
Alice Horley age 27    Woburn reg dist    3b   242
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 12 16:21 BST (UK) »
So in 1891 Martha is the daughter of William and Emily Horley (nee Ellis) - is that right? That would explain the GRO mistake. I think William is the uncle of my Harry - was he a carpenter on the 1891 census aged about 45?

Thanks for all your help

Lyla

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 August 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
This is Williams birth registration -
William Edward Alexander Horley
Date of Registration   Jul-Aug-Sep 1844
Registration district   Woburn
Vol 6 Page109

In 1891 he is age 45 occupation Grocer
Emily age 36
Edward J age 18
Frederick 16
Laura 7
Martha 5
William A 2
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 August 12 19:13 BST (UK) »
I have a relative who was a twin and this is mentioned both on the census records and also on his Birth Certificate.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU