Author Topic: Honora  (Read 13039 times)

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honora
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
There is John Marlow listed with a wife as Mary which isn't the right one? Or is it?

John    Marlow    1803-10    P M    Defiance    
John    Marlow    1806    Private Marine    Defiance

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Reference:    ADM 73/289/43
Description:    

Thomas Marlow. When admitted to Greenwich Hospital School: Not stated.

Applicant born 19 May 1822 and baptised 2 June 1822 in Portsmouth, Southampton. Invited to attend the school July 1833. Siblings: Mary Ann, John, Henry and Richard William. Half brother; Michael[?] Riordan.
Checking back to reply #3 I see that Mary Ann + her brothers were children of John & Honora Marlow.  Now the mist has cleared! So Michael Riordan was son of Honora from her previous marriage/relationship.
What a pity you can't view details of that record on NA website. I've read what's there for some of the other applicants to the school. Some include parents' marriage. One boy was rejected because he couldn't read. Will you be able to order a copy?
As to whether it means his father, John Marlow was definitely a Royal Marine, it depends on the admission criteria of the school.
So you finally have a surname for Honora. She was Honora Lyon or Lyon. That's one of the things that's good about Catholic baptisms, they often include mother's maiden name. Does the marriage record say if she was married to Cornelius? I'd intended earlier to ask what religion Honora and John Marlow were. I wonder if Cornelius was also a Royal Marine?
You've even got a bonus in Honora's mother's maiden name. She'll be a lot more difficult to find. That might be a 10 year search.
I once found a website for regiments stationed in Cork but I don't have a note of it and could't find it again. It was in connection with a query on here last year.
Persistence paid off. Well done!  :)
Apologies for any spelling mistakes. Spellcheck seems to have stopped working.
Cowban

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Great to hear you think I have the correct Honora. Did you see my second post where I found. This place is close to the harbour where there were garrisons?

Name: Honora Lion
Baptism Age: 0
Event Type: Baptism
Birth Date: 1798
Baptism Date: 25 Jun 1798
Baptism Place: Passage West, Cork, Ireland
Residence Place: Shanbally
Parish Variants: Passage, Passage West and Monkstown
Diocese: Cork and Ross
Father: John Lion
Mother: Catherine Regan

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I will be ordering the school admission. Hopeful it will mention a marriage as it all helps.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
On his childrens baptisms in Portsmouth he is described as 'Sgt. Royal Marines'.

Annette
That was reply #6 in answer to my mentioning he was Greenwich Pensioner in occupation column on census. So definitely Royal Marine. That's logical if he was stationed at Portsmouth for a long time. According to that Wikipedia article I referred to earlier, 3 Divisions of Royal Marines were formed in 1755, HQs at Portsmouth, Chatham and Plymouth.  Strength was vastly increased from start of war with France 1793, then greatly reduced again after peace in 1815. There should be a record of which division was at Portsmouth at the time of births of the Marlow children (and more importantly at time of conception) to identify which John belonged to. Then you can track movements before & after. There may be more information on that military website, or from other sources.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
There is John Marlow listed with a wife as Mary which isn't the right one? Or is it?

John    Marlow    1803-10    P M    Defiance    
John    Marlow    1806    Private Marine    Defiance
If age on census was approximately correct your John would have been only 9 or 10 in 1803. It's a common name. There were thousands of Royal Marines at the time, so quite likely there were more than 1 John Marlow.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Re post #56 about residence of Honora's parents being near harbour in Cork and consequently near garrisons. My bet is that Cornelius Riordan was a soldier or sailor as well.
(My grandma Honora's 1st husband was a soldier stationed at the town barracks.)
Cowban

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 22:26 GMT (UK) »
There is a Cornelius Riordan who is listed as military but not sure if same one.

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Found one on NA.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8767074

Then using the alias on another website I get:

Cornelius    Reardon    Born 1801    Service Number 406    54th Regt Of Foot    Cork.

Edit: Found the service record on the other website too.