Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 10 Episode #3 - Patrick Stewart  (Read 14394 times)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 10 Episode #3 - Patrick Stewart
« on: Thursday 30 August 12 08:33 BST (UK) »
 :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 10 Episode #3 - Patrick Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 August 12 08:36 BST (UK) »
Watched the Paralympic Games opening, so not seen it yet :(

Offline baggygenes

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 August 12 08:41 BST (UK) »
oh doh!!  what with Bank Holiday this week I thought it was Tuesday yesterday and missed it .. grrr.
Hopefully its on iplayer already
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 August 12 08:41 BST (UK) »
Looks like it was a memorial to his father. I think they just did what patrick wanted to find out. I would have liked more about other ancestors. It would have been better as a stand alone feature.

Offline baggygenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 August 12 10:02 BST (UK) »
Looks like it was a memorial to his father. I think they just did what patrick wanted to find out. I would have liked more about other ancestors. It would have been better as a stand alone feature.

It was very interesting (actually made me feel a little sad) but I agree with your comment.  Maybe had been better in that series a few months back about what celebs ancestors did in the war.
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 August 12 10:36 BST (UK) »
Sent overseas to combat tyrany & oppression, he returned to practise it at home. Don't swallow the hero stuff. He was in Belgium for five minutes and returned to complain of shell-shock, comparisons with the guys on the Somme were odious.
 Patrick wanted to believe this portrayal, his brother who knew the subject better, and what their mother went through, looked rather more sceptical.
 The real hero was the mother, financial circumstances meant she had to put up with this crap.
 Agree with weste, not much in the way of genealogy.

Offline baggygenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 August 12 10:55 BST (UK) »
It actually made me feel sad because of the feeling of desperation of wanting a reason for his father being the way he was - maybe the war did it too him but maybe it didn't but it is a case of jumping to conclusions again ... having re enlisted at 38 to such a physical role and his rise through the ranks and a start as regimental police maybe he was just a man who thrived on asserting his authority and conflict.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 August 12 11:09 BST (UK) »

He was in Belgium for five minutes and returned to complain of shell-shock, comparisons with the guys on the Somme were odious.

Shell-shock (or PTSD) isn't quantative!  It's not a case of the worse the experience the worse the shell-shock

Some people go through terrible ordeals and don't get it at all

Given the type of man he was, he would probably have agreed with the WWI view that shell-shock was a sign of 'weakness', and not admitted, even to himself, that he had a problem.  There would have been very little support available even if he had been willing to look for help.

There is also the fact that he had spent most of his life giving orders and expecting them to be obeyed

Unfortunately there are still cases of soldiers (suffering from PTSD or not) being unable to fit back into civilian life

None of this excuses his behaviour towards Patrick's mother, but it might help to explain it

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 August 12 11:26 BST (UK) »
Linda,  who told the reporter of the local paper that he had shell shock?

Skoosh.