Author Topic: Charles France - missing marriage  (Read 5513 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles France - missing marriage
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 August 12 13:48 BST (UK) »
There are two worth looking at.

Rosa Wild,Sheffield District,Oct/Nov/Dec quarter 1879,Volume 9c,Page 495.

Rosa Wilde,Eccleshall BierlowDistrict,Oct/Nov/Dec quarter 1880,Volume 9c,Page 299.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 August 12 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I'll take a look.

Luzzu  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 August 12 19:05 BST (UK) »
One of the children's birth certificates would give you Rose Ann's maiden name which would make it easier to find the correct marriage.

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 August 12 00:49 BST (UK) »
Good idea I wonder if there are other children besides Charles. Take Care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline jfrance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 August 12 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have the marriage cert of Charles France and Rose Ann/Edna Wild, let me know what info you need.  I have their children as Charles, John Amos, Arthur and Edna.  I think Charles and Rose are my great grandparents with Arthur being my grandad.  However am not commiting as on the marriage cert his father is Charles Buckley France and I have never heard this name from any of the family, although its possible and on the plus side I do remember my dad telling me his gran was from Sheffield so still looking into it.  The national archives hold some photos and information regards Charles Buckley France living at Platt Fields which I must check out some day. 

Regards Julie

ps.  on the marriage cert her father is Charles Herbert Wild

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 August 12 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

The fact that Charles Buckley France is the father of Charles France is good news from my point of view.   It does look like we are researching the same family.  Your great grandfather, Charles France, is my 1st cousin, 3 x removed so you and I are very distantly related.

Charles Buckley France and my 2 x gt grandmother, Elizabeth Jane France, are brother and sister so our common relatives are our 3 x gt grandparents, Thomas France and Ann Buckley who married at Manchester Cathedral on 11 Oct 1841 and lived in Canal Street, Manchester.  Thomas France was from Slaithwaite near Huddersfield.

In 1911, Charles France was living at 6 Hamilton Street.  Next door at number 8 Hamilton Street was the Haigh family.  Elizabeth Jane Haigh's maiden name was France.  My great grandfather, Thomas Haigh, wasn't with the family in Hamilton Street though as he had married a couple of months before and moved in with his new in-laws.

I am aware of the file held by the National Archives and in fact ordered a copy of the photograph of Charles Buckley France with his goat (goats are one of my favourite animals  :D).

Please feel free to PM with any questions regarding the France family as I have amassed a fair amount of information, extracts from parish registers etc.,

Luzzu  :)

Please would you let me know the date and location of the France/Wild wedding.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline jfrance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 August 12 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

How exciting and nice to hear from you.  I am cautious as I have gone down the wrong line of France's a couple of times on this branch of my research.  The problem is that around the same time their seemed to be a more than one Charles France married in Manchester, plus I have seen his wife listed as Rose/Edna/Rose Ann so its been confusing. 

Regards the photos is there a picture of Charles France Senior or Junior?  I will send you a copy of the marriage cert tonight. 

I had a feeling this family would be connected with Slaithwaite as there is a theme with the name John Amos Ernest which seems to carry on down the line. 

Julie

I couldnt find a link to order from the national archives, do you have to telephone them?

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 August 12 18:53 BST (UK) »

ps.  on the marriage cert her father is Charles Herbert Wild

You may have already looked into this, but there is a married Rose A Wild, born c.1880, in Sheffield on the 1901 census. Her husband's name is Charles H Wild, razor blade cutter. A son, also Charles H has been mistranscribed as Charlotte.

In 1911, Charles Herbert Wild, razor blade striker, puts down that he is married but is living with his mistress servant. (That's not me being judgmental, its what it says on the record - Mistress crossed out and overwritten Servant)

Was wondering if this might explain the new name of 'Edna Rose' on the marriage to Charles France in 1906? Covering tracks of the previous marriage?

:) Barbara

Free BMDs has a possible maiden name of Williams for Rose Ann in Sheffield
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jfrance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 August 12 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Thanks for that info, its very interesting I will look into that further.  Mistress/servant!  lol I havent seen that before.

Julie France