Author Topic: Excise officer William Pivins 1773  (Read 1064 times)

Offline MaryL12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Excise officer William Pivins 1773
« on: Saturday 01 September 12 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for information about William Pivins, (son of William Pybins) born in Edmonton, Middlesex in 1733.                                                                                                                            From his son's baptism records I know that he was an Excise Officer living in Old Gravel Lane, Wapping on 21st December 1773. But, by December 1779 his three youngest children were in the care of the parish of St Clement Dane. His wife Christian died in 1786 in the parish of St George in the East, but I can find no further information about him.
I would like to find out what happened between 1773 and 1779 (and any earlier details as well), but when I contacted The National archives at Kew they told me that the Customs Minute Books give very little genealogical information.
I’m not really sure how to proceed and would really welcome any advice.

Offline geniemom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Excise officer William Pivins 1773
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 20:41 BST (UK) »
I know for my Scottish Exciseman, there were pension files with amounts paid and dates on cards.  Not much genealogical info though it was nice to have it verified on paper that he actually was what was on the monument and baptism records.  I would still have a look at them since they do have them.  You never know if there is something that might come in handy.

Have you had any other success researching him?  I'm looking at researching the topic since mine was a Supervisor but haven't found any books/pamphlets on the subject.  I have no idea where he came from though and had hoped that the records would give something.
Auchterlonie, Chaplain, Douglas, Duncan, Fletcher, Gilcrest, Gowans, Hepburn ,Jamison, Laidlaw, MacKellar, Reaper, Robertson, Robertson, Rollo, Scot, Simpson, Slater, Smith, Thomson,Wise,Wright

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Excise officer William Pivins 1773
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 13 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi MaryL,

I think it worth having a look at the records at Kew, I followed my relative all over north Wales , looking at he promotions, from 1809 to 1840.
It take a moment to get into the swing of it, first looking up the cards,finding his name, then ordering the books to look at.