Author Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers  (Read 81846 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups: German Pork Butchers
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 25 October 12 21:01 BST (UK) »
I think we should only enter the migrants, ie not subsequent children.   it would go on for ever wouldn't it?   but that includes people not just who came over as pork butchers, but servants, assistants, and others!   even if they did not stay too (?) 

... if I am allowed to enter them all. Or are we just to enter the Butchers and not all their children and families who did not take up the trade?

I would suggest you all enter the immigrants themselves, and the first generation of children, who are also pork butchers or married pork butchers, as they will probably often marry among the ther immigrant families.  The later generations will be more "english" and will probably branch out into other professions, and marry outside of the immigrant families  (and will be getting into more recent dates).

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 25 October 12 22:37 BST (UK) »
OK, thanks Bob, I will not be entering all of the offspring. It was just my Grandparents who were Pork Butchers and they had a lot of children, you see, and none of them took up their parents' trade.

I have only the one generation of tradespeople, as Pork Butchers. I'll get round to entering something soon. Our grandchildren are taking up nearly all of my time, and they are off school next week! Lovely though; it's good to have them.
 :)
Keep up your good work on the database. Best wishes.
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 28 October 12 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I've not had any feedback on my last question, but I've implemented the links anyway. Maybe people need to see it in action and try it out before they can comment :)

I've also added a new link [f]family name[/n]. This will "select this surname".  I thought this might be useful in conjunction with sentences like:

" ... married into the Xschweinmetzger family"

where you have no further details, but you know there are Xschweinmetzgers in the database. Examples for the various tags can be seen by Cunigunda XSCHWEINMETZGER :)

I also had the idea of a "Family Record": this could be simply the family surname, with "Family" as forename.
You could include all general details here about a family which are difficult to attribute to particular persons;
or where you don't want to repeat the details in every single family member record;
or where you know there was a particular family, who were pork butchers from Germany, but you have only minimal details of them.  Simply having the names in the database could be useful for others to find and maybe link to.

I've also added a "Top Ten" on the index page, as well as a list of the newest entries.

Enjoy, :)
Bob

ps: the XSCHWEINMETGER family is totally fictitious (the name comes from a long string of pork sausages long line of pork butchers originating in an area where the original names are very hard to pronounce. The X is silent, but is kept as a sign of respect for their ancestors).

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?sig_code=GPB
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 11 November 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Newsletter:  (or "State of Play" :) )

The DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups is now definitely up and running.

The "starting capital" was supplied by adding approx. 60 records records culled from various "German Pork Butcher" topics on RootsChat.  These records are mainly just the surname, place of origin and place(s) of abode or work in Britain, and there is only one record for each surname.

It is now up to you to fill these records with more data and add more records for other 'pork butcher' family members.
(Click on "Edit Record" to see which of your surnames have been submitted)

I've now rewritten the Help pages for the "German Pork Butchers"
so you now have no excuse, not to edit or add to your entries  ;D
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/gpb-help.php

Also available are over 1600 records provided by RichardFunk and Histres. 
Some of these are duplicates, that RootsChatters have supplied to RichardFunk and Histres. Check before adding new records, whether they are already entered. You can flag up your own family interests in other submitted records.

Feedback is always welcome :)

regards,
Bob

ps. Ignore this message, if you knew all this already  ;D

Access:
>> Library
>> DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups
or
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?sig_code=GPB

Offline hjstort

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 11 November 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
My records were submitted by Histres so I am unable to edit/add missing detail (there are 2 records that I can edit but these are duplicates).

Is there a way to get round this?

Helga

Dobson, Frankland, Oates, Sellar(s), Chadwick, Hardcastle, Cawthra, Vogel

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 11 November 12 17:01 GMT (UK) »
In such cases I think the best thing is for everybody to edit (i.e. copy any data from Histres' records into yours) or create their own records, and then I'll gradually delete the duplicates from his list.  Until then, you can  also use the page-view in his records, to indicate your interest there.

I think RichardFunk and Histres have collected many such records, and I copied them all into the database, but I think it makes more sense, that those of you with family ties actually submit the records, and are able to edit them as more becomes known.

regards,
Bob

Offline RichardFunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 16 November 12 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Just a few points that spring to mind:

Do we have a field for year of emigration?

We may not need country of origin, just the state and town, it's probably a given that they are from Germany.

With the angicised name I like this idea. However, for example, my great grandfather was always known as George Funk in England, but his children changed their surname to Ford. Where, if anywhere would we enter this info?

As for editing the record I like your idea of having a distinction between 'Researcher' and 'Submitter'. I think these terms are clear and it solves the issue that me and Histres have submitted many names that are not our relatives. Just one question, if someone else is 'Submitter' on a record and I'm add myself as a 'Researcher', can I edit the record, or would I just contact the 'Submitter' and ask that it be changed?

One other thing. When a name appears in the 'Comments' section, say 'brother of x', is there anyway of hyperlinking direct to x's record?
Names: Funk, Kantenwein, Otterbach, Raissen, Hub, Stier
Places: Belsenberg, Morsbach, Rueblingen, Ober/Unter Regenbach

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 16 November 12 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Do we have a field for year of emigration?
So far, no.  This can either go in the "comments" section, or as the last item in the
"Country of Origin" >> Details field.

In a previous question, I suggested that the database should be for the immigrants themselves, and for their children, und perhaps grandchildren too, if they are also pork butchers, as there will probably still be a lot of contacts between these families. Later generations of children will be more likely to be moving out of the "family business" and marrying more widely.

We may not need country of origin, just the state and town, it's probably a given that they are from Germany.
The 1st generation of children may have been born in Germany or England, so I'll leave these fields as they are for now.

for example, my great grandfather was always known as George Funk in England, but his children changed their surname to Ford. Where, if anywhere would we enter this info?
Perhaps FUNK in the "Original Surname" and FORD in the anglicised name, with a clarifying comment in the comments box ??

I don't really know; does anyone else have any ideas on this ?

if someone else is 'Submitter' on a record and I'm add myself as a 'Researcher', can I edit the record, or would I just contact the 'Submitter' and ask that it be changed?
This is another point that needs to be discussed.  One question originall raised was whether this should be "open access" for all. I am against this as it easily be mis-used.  Instead, I set it up so that only the Submitter can edit a record.

However, another possibility which I mentioned, but wasn't discussed further, would be for the Submitter to say in any record, which Researchers are allowed to edit this record.  Again, something which is up for discussion. But for now, it's as you say, Richard, you just have to contact the Submitter with your changes.

One other thing. When a name appears in the 'Comments' section, say 'brother of x', is there anyway of
hyperlinking direct to x's record?

YES  ;D

Have a look in the Help-Pages here:
http://localhost/xampp/sit-dev/lexicon/dbsig/gpb-help.php?show=er#format_tags

I have deliberately displayed the record number (ID) in the page view and the table view so people can enter it in the [id=....]name[/id] tags.
I have also deliberately left my fictional XSchweinmetzger family in the database, as examples of how to use the formatting-tags:
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/gpb-quick-search.php?letter=X&view=1692

regards,
Bob

ps. Once the data is in the database, somewhere, it will be (fairly) easy to re-arrange it later, should think it would be better so.  Perhaps we can review some of this in 6 months or so, when we have gathered more experience.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 16 November 12 18:14 GMT (UK) »
pps.  just a general thought (also open to discussion)

As Richard has mentioned, there are several duplicates where other RootsChatters have supplied him and Histres with their information. As "DBSIG-Admin" I shall be editing the database to remove duplicates.  Duplicated data will be moved from Submitters' records to Researchers' records.

I feel that the database is more useful if people can immediately see other research interests.
This is why the Researcher is shown in the table views, and not the Submitter.

But as I said, open to discussion  :)

regards,
Bob