Author Topic: Michael Egan C1840's  (Read 6988 times)

Offline Mike14tp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Egan C1840's
« on: Saturday 01 September 12 12:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to find out a Little more about Michael Egan who appears in the 1901 Census as 50 years old and in the 1911 Census as 64?  I don't know how he managed that! He was born therefore either in 1851 or 1847. The family home was in Mullygollan which then became Mulligallon in the parish of Baslick, Castle Plunket.

Any idea if baptismal, birth or death certificates can be obtained going back this far? I would like to learn more about the family about his forbears but assume that is simply not possible?

Thanks

Mike14tp

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Egan C1840's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 12 13:12 BST (UK) »
Is this your Michael with his wife Bee and two children on the 1911 return ?

Egan household, Mullygallan townland

if so then the place to start would be with his marriage, as this would show his father's name and occupation. The form states he and Bee are married 37 years, so c1874.

Do you already have details for the children - e.g. a birth cert with Bee's maiden name ?
This makes the marriage search easier...

The townland name didn't changes as such, it's just recorded as a variation in spelling..

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Mike14tp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 12 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane very much appreciated.

Unfortunately I am unaware of her maiden name but the Son Martin died in 1976 and was married to Theresa nee Carney. I don't have his birth or death certificate either. I know nothing about the other Sons and daughters, apparently there were 9 in total.

Thanks again

Mike 14tp

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
Are you descended from Martin ?

This is the best match for his birth on the BMD Index - district matches that for the census returns..

Name: Martin Egan
  Registration district:   Castlereagh
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jan-Mar 1887
  Volume: 4 / Page: 148

A research cert would give additional details, including mother's maiden name. I think with the discrepancy in ages, and possibly also the number of years married, it might be better to learn Bee's full name before searching for the marriage..

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Birth Cert
        Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Mike14tp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 September 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, wow I am impressed!

How did you manage to find that information? I have trawlled the websites without too much success.

Yes I am a grandson of Martin.

Really appreciate that, thanks again.

Is there any way I can obtain a copy of that certificate?

Best wishes

Mike14tp

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
that result is on the Irish BMD Index on FamilySearch - the link is in the introduction topic in reply #1- also there are links about ordering certs in reply #3

Here's a link to the best fit for Martin's birth :

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBZ9-4ZX

luckily his age and hence calculated year of birth is a little more consistent than his father's.... so hopefully more accurate.

1901 census for reference : Egan household - Mullygollan townland

Shane

My Surname Interests

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 12 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,

To supplement what Shane has contributed the age discrepancy may be due to the introduction of the Old Age Pension introduced New Years Day 1909 leading many to stretch their ages to qualify due to the lack of civil records to substantiate or deny claims.

The households in Mullygollan seem to have remained in the main the same in 1901 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qlr/ to what they were at the time of the Griffith Valuation in 1857 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qls/.

The Egan family head William may be the Father /Grandfather of your Michael but you will have to initially establish from the marriage certificate some supporting information.

Records for the parish in which Mullygollan falls in Tulsk(ogulla and Baslic) seem to date only from 1864.

Offline Mike14tp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 September 12 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

That's fantastic!

Sorry I am not usually obtuse but I am struggling a bit to understand how to obtain a copy of the actual birth certificate? Sorry I am a bit long in the tooth and my computer skills only stretch so far! Do you think you could explain in words on one syllable how I achieve this?

Sorry to be a pain.

Thanks once again

Mike14tp

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 September 12 14:42 BST (UK) »
have a read of just the first post in this link Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
The rest of the replies are just people discussing ordering certs.

Basically you download a form from the GRO, and print this out - see :
  http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Fill out your details on this - i.e. name, address , credit card etc.

On a separate blank page write or type the references I gave - name, year/quarter etc

Also make  sure to add a note that you require research certs, or photo copies. These should cost just €4 each, as no searching is required by the GRO if you give the correct references. You post the order to the GRO head office in Roscommon - the address in on the form.

S.
My Surname Interests