Author Topic: WISHER & DENNY  (Read 7017 times)

Offline Newstead62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WISHER & DENNY
« on: Thursday 26 May 05 22:02 BST (UK) »
Just to let everyone know my surname interests in Derbyshire.

I'm doing what's called a one name study on my Mum's maiden name, WISHER.  I have quite an extensive database on the various branches, who appear to have originated near Cotgrave, in Nottinghamshire.  Even if you only have a marriage, I can probably fill in some additional details for you.

As for DENNY, my main interest is with Arthur DENNY, born in 1865 in Coventry.  His parents  were Henry DENNY & Maria TAYLOR, both of Coventry, and when Arthur was 5 the whole family moved to Nottingham.  My 2xgreat-grandfather, James DENNY, is Henry & Maria's oldest son.  Arthur joined  the Sherwood Foresters and served throughout England & Ireland.  His wife, Annie, was from Kilkenny and their two oldest children were also born in Ireland.  The family eventually settled in Normanton, with 3 younger children being born there (per the 1901 census).  Any information on Arthur & his descendants after 1911 would be appreciated.

Newstead  8)
WISHER - all of England
LARRINGTON - Cambs
WYNN - Radford, Notts & Sussex
SMITHAM - Notts
FIDDES - Notts

Offline Xx_Chaz69_xX

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WISHER & DENNY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 January 10 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hey im Just Writing to let you know that i'm a Denny From Dublin In Ireland...Im Trying to find if im related to Henry Denny...If You Want To Know Anyting Else Please Do Ask...

Offline goff153

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
This won't help you but I went to Pear Tree Junior School from 1950 - 55 (which is in Normanton) and we had a girl in our class called Mavis Wisher.  She would be born around 1943 I guess - same as me.  I think she lived in the Havelock Road area of Normanton.

Also wasn't there a music / piano shop in Derby in the 50's 60's called Wishers?  Or have a I imagined that?

No help I know but I thought you might be interested.

Godfrey

Offline Newstead62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 10 14:32 BST (UK) »
Godfrey,

Mavis Wisher is one of my dead-ends!  I don't know anything about her, other than she married a Barry Baker in 1966.  So if you can recall anything about her parents or siblings, I'd appreciate it.

As for the music shop, yes it was the family business.  That side of the family came from Burton Joyce then Loughborough, originally being instrument makers.  When they moved to Derby just before the 1861 census, they set up a sheet music sellers shop.  That evolved into what you knew it as in the 60s.  If you do a google image search for Wisher, someone's got an old photo of the shop logo!

Take care.
Denise
WISHER - all of England
LARRINGTON - Cambs
SMITHAM - Notts
FIDDES - Notts

Offline goff153

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Denise

I can't help you I'm afraid.

I remember nothing about Mavis except that she had short blonde hair and wore glasses!  I suppose the marriage certificate would give her father's name but it's a mystery why her birth doesn't show up on a search - it would be 1943 or 1944 I'm sure.  Maybe it was indexed wrongly.  I have a friend who went to the same school as Mavis and I - I'll ask her if she remembers anything and let you know.

Regards

Godfrey

Offline goff153

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
Denise

This has been intriguing me!

Just spent a bit of my lunch-hour on Ancestry.co.uk.  It's a long shot but there is a Mavis Wishart, born March quarter 1944 - Ref Derby 7b 1023.   Mother's maiden name Asher.

Could be a mistake in the indexes - I've come across quite a few in the past.

Just a thought anyway.

Regards

Godfrey

Offline Newstead62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 14:56 BST (UK) »
Godfrey,

You deserve a gold star!  This is definitely her.  I have a marriage between an Eric Wisher and Edith Asher in 1940 in Derby.  There is also another daughter, Ann, born in 1942.

As you say, there are many transcription errors and with such an uncommon surname as Wisher I've come across some over the years.  I was once contacted by a guy who couldn't find anything out about his family at all.  Going on the information he gave me, nothing fit in anywhere.  Like you it niggled and  bubbled until I did some serious digging...found out he wasn't a Wisher at all, but Wisker!  He'd spent his whole life using a surname that his Dad, for whatever reason, deliberately mis-spelled when registering the birth (his parents marriage was down as Wisker, so it's very weird).

Anyway, many thanks again!
Denise, in drizzly Vancouver
WISHER - all of England
LARRINGTON - Cambs
SMITHAM - Notts
FIDDES - Notts

Offline goff153

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Denise

I'm so pleased I was able to help.  So many people I have never met have helped me over the years, it's nice to be able to help someone else.

Take care and best wishes with your research

Godfrey

Offline richmsmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 23:33 BST (UK) »
This may be many years too late to be of much interest but I have only just seen the post re Wisher & Denny.  Arthur Denny was my wife's great grand father.  I have researched his and many of his descendants lives quite extensively so if anyone is still interested I can fill in lots of details.

Regards,

Richard