Author Topic: Did the army recognise 'adopted' Children 1915??  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Haylestorm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did the army recognise 'adopted' Children 1915??
« on: Friday 07 September 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just come across my great great grandfathers ww1 record and there are no children listed that he is responsible for.
It states his apparent age at this time is 44, then in the 1911 census he is 46 where children are listed as they were in previous censuses. But this time along with an adopted daughter of 6 years. Would there be any reason why his children wouldn't be on there at all? His wife is listed as next of kin.
I have never researched any war records before and there all a bit confusing to me so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hayley

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 record but no children listed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 September 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Hayley

WWI didn't start until 1914, so one possibility is that you are looking at 2 different men

If you'd like to give us some names, date & references, we might be able to help   :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Haylestorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've just been trying to work on the dates. I don't think the Army record has his correct age yet all other details for him are correct. He more than likely lied about his age to take part?

His name is Leonard Reeves, i've attached one of the records for him below for 1915. On another page it says he is 44 and 8 months. The 1911 census I have for him is correct as the same wife is listed along his children all in previous cencuses. In 1911 his age is 46 which is correct as he was born 1865 and like you say the war was from 1914 so on his war record it should state his age as 49.
But although he has children during the war would be adults I can understand them not being listed yet the adopted daughter is listed in the 1911 census so if he was still responsible for her should she be listed.
If you need any more info let know which bits
Thanks,
Hayley

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
I've just remembered that formal adoption did not exist in England and Wales until 1927

I wonder if the Army did not recognise 'adopted' children

Try changing the title of this thread to something like

Did the Army recognise 'adopted' children in 1915?

It might catch the eye of someone who knows about these things  :)

Linda
SKEATS - Surrey
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Offline Haylestorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 September 12 21:47 BST (UK) »
Okay, will do. Thanks for your help.

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Did the army recognise 'adopted' Children 1915??
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 September 12 10:55 BST (UK) »
I think it would depend on who the child was. If she was a blood relative - a niece, other family member etc., for whom he had taken overall responsibility, then I think she would be treated as one of his own by the army.  But if she had other family of her own then they would not necessarily do that - they would look at the circumstances of her being cared for by this man.  It would be worth finding out who she was and where she had come from - the fact she was in the house on census night does not necessarily mean that she lived there permanently or remained there - by wartime she might have moved on or even died.

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline Haylestorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 September 12 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've sent off for the birth certificate to see if that sheds any light on who she is because no one in the family knows anything about it that's why I wondered if she was there for the night. But then she is listed as adopted daughter age 6, in 1911 I wasn't sure what that meant fully. Her surname doesn't match anyone in the family I can find do far like aunts and uncles and as it's 1911 I can't do much searching further on yet about where she went... That's why I looked at the army record to see if she would be listed there.
Thanks for your help.
Hayley

Offline Haylestorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 September 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
I have the birth certificate now she is called Sophia Ashton b.8/10/1904 on 78 New John Street West. Sub district of St.George Birmingham.
Father: Albert Ashton - Warehouseman
Mother: Amy Ashton  nee. Davis living at the address above. She had marked with a x. Metal Dealers.
Registered on the 29/12/1904

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 September 12 17:52 BST (UK) »
I think your next move is to track the Ashtons back and see if they overlap with the Reeves family.  Give us a shout if you want help  :)

Linda
SKEATS - Surrey
and
SWINBANK - anywhere