Author Topic: Object left to my Great Great Grandfather's Grandson?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Object left to my Great Great Grandfather's Grandson?
« on: Monday 10 September 12 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I sent away for my Great Great Grandfather's Will, and it arrived this morning after 3 weeks.

My ancestor left a lot of properties to his family, mainly his children, and also money from his War Stock. However this has totally threw me.

"I give too my Grandson Adam Storey Wilson my ....."

To me, it looks like PEANIA, or the 'e' could be an 'l' so PLANIA... When I read it I thought piano, or pianola? But it doesn't look right

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated :D
LESLIE, McLEAN, CARROLL, RICHMOND, GALLIGAN, DUFFY, McCOMBS, ARCHIBALD, DYKES
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS
HARBERTSON, TAYLOR, SHARP, ERRINGTON, RIDDLE, HINDMARCH/HYMAS

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
Re: Object left to my Great Great Grandfather's Grandson?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 September 12 14:37 BST (UK) »
Could it be "pianna" or "peanna" - in other words, piano, as you have already wondered?  Some people pronounce it "pianna" so maybe it was written how he spoke the word?

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 12 14:40 BST (UK) »
I think the same - piano.

Rhyming with Joanna!

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 12 14:55 BST (UK) »
It's a little difficult to tell from just one word! Is it at all possible to give a larger extract?

Maureen

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 September 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all, and thanks for responding! Looks like piano is the favourite.

As requested I've posted a larger extract.

If possible, could I ask what people think of the word on the seventh line down.

"and I direct that all my L?????? ...."

Thanks again.

Regards
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 September 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
Did he write the Will himself do you think?  There are several spelling/grammar errors and the layout is a bit strange.  When was it written?

I wonder if it reads

and I direct that all my Linning [maybe] be giving [sic] to my
three daughters to be divided among them Share and Share alike

I would assume Linnen, if that's what it is, would be bed-linen, tablecloths and such

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 03:41 BST (UK) »
That was my first thought too -- LINNING, for linen.

Particularly since he wrong "giving" for "given" ... and since it's specified for the daughters. ;)

I also agree with "peanna" for "piano" -- and was careful to try to decipher both without reading ahead!

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all, and thanks for your thoughts.

I think he might have written the Will himself. I had notived the 'giving' error... and the writing does seem a bit messy for a solicitor's clerk or someone official!

Now that I think of it, 'peanna' or something similiar would be the way in which a Northumbrian man would speak, so possibly just wrote it the way he said it.

RE Linen - Do you think linen would be in short supply in 1949 when his Will was written? Or perhaps just decided to recycle and pass on to his daughters?

Thanks again!

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
That "linnen" bit looks like two words to me.

Could the second word be "ring"

I direct that all my L??? ring be giving/going to my daughters to be divided among them share and share alike.....

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk