Author Topic: Which Sarah did William OLIVER marry?  (Read 4248 times)

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Sarah did William OLIVER marry?
« on: Tuesday 11 September 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
I am researching this couple and their offspring for a distant  french cousin.
Every ancestry tree asserts confidently that William Oliver married Sarah (Ann)Webb in Kidderminster in 1845. I assumed that this was the case as Pascal had told me it was so. He wanted the birth certificate of his great great grandmother,Mary Oliver, the daughter of William and Sarah. Censuses give her as being born in Wolverley around 1865. There are 2 Worcestershire Mary Olivers born around 1865, born in Stourbridge and so I asked GRO to search for the birth certificate between 1864 and 1866. They did not find it.
Maybe William did not marry Sarah WEBB but Sarah ANKRETT another alternative in 1845,(June quarter 18 483) , no trace of this on familysearch. I can send for the certificate on behalf of Pascal, but can anyone find the marriage by a cheaper and hopefully quicker method, please?
[/color
Thanks for your expertise.
]Helen

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Sarah did William OLIVER marry?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

He wanted the birth certificate of his great great grandmother,Mary Oliver, the daughter of William and Sarah. Censuses give her as being born in Wolverley around 1865. There are 2 Worcestershire Mary Olivers born around 1865, born in Stourbridge and so I asked GRO to search for the birth certificate between 1864 and 1866. They did not find it.

Have you ruled out the following (Kidderminster being the correct registration district for Wolverley)?

Birth, Jun qtr 1865

Mary Jane OLIVER

Kidderminster 6c 320

Obviously if it's the right birth registration, the certificate will give you Sarah's maiden name.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hopefully GRO search ruled that out. I do not know where Wolverley would have been registered and merely asked them to look from 1864 to 1866, Worcestershire.
My conclusion is that William did not marry a Sarah with a last name WEBB, rather Sarah ANKRETT was his wife.
Have just found that the GRO phone number is free in my package and am going to ring for more clarification. Thanks
Helen

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
Where did you find that particular Mary (Jane) Oliver?(June 1865,Kidd. 6c 320) Neither findmypast nor ancestry has it!
It certainly looks to be the correct one.
Puzzled
Helen

Offline Dsaucier04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 23:21 BST (UK) »
I am from this family and have some info. I noticed that you posted a marriage certificate for this couple, but I have to pay to access that site. Could you relay the info contained therein?  From Hebron, CT USA

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 13 19:58 BST (UK) »
I am from this family and have some info. I noticed that you posted a marriage certificate for this couple, but I have to pay to access that site. Could you relay the info contained therein?  From Hebron, CT USA

Sorry about this method of replying but often this is the only way I can reply on this new rootschat site.
William Oliver married Sarah WEBB at the Old Meeting House,Kiddeminster on 13 April 1845.She was the daughter of George Webb, a weaver, and William was the son of Thomas Oliver, a labourer. William was of full age,a bachelor,a carpet weaver and Sarah was a spinster and a minor. Both 'signed' with a mark. Witnesses were Hannah Webb(mark of) and William Webb. William's address is Oxford Rd. Kidderminster.Sarah's is Chapel St. Kidderminster. I no longer have the certificate I sent it to Pascal in France.
Any more info. just ask and I will help if I can.
My interest is in Mary Oliver their daughter,born in 1865, who married a relative of mine - Henry Denning.This Henry was born son of James Denning on 2 Sept 1865 in Kidderminster, has 4 boys with Mary Oliver - Henry Ernest, William James (who were twins) Victor Stanley and Sydney. Last son being born in 1899 and dying in 1902.Henry disappears from censuses from 1901,(I may have found him in Wolverhampton,boarding there, a market gardener) but from then on there is no trace of him at all, I say all this in case anyone can shed light on his disappearance. all the best
Helen

Offline Dsaucier04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 17:44 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was William White. According to his death certificate, he was born 24 Apr 1859 in Kidderminster, England to William Oliver and Sarah Webb. He was a carpet weaver and immigrated to Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut where he lived for 68 years.  He married Margaret White d/o Henry White and Joanna Bruce in Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut, USA on 9 Feb 1881.  Henry White born Kidderminster 1835 and Joanna Bruce born 1833 Dundee, Scotland.  (She is listed as d/o William White and Joanna). Henry White and Joanna Bruce both died in Connecticut. I don't know if William Oliver and Sarah Webb came to Connecticut with them.  I hope this helped.

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 May 13 13:48 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was William White. According to his death certificate, he was born 24 Apr 1859 in Kidderminster, England to William Oliver and Sarah Webb. He was a carpet weaver and immigrated to Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut where he lived for 68 years.  He married Margaret White d/o Henry White and Joanna Bruce in Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut, USA on 9 Feb 1881.  Henry White born Kidderminster 1835 and Joanna Bruce born 1833 Dundee, Scotland.  (She is listed as d/o William White and Joanna). Henry White and Joanna Bruce both died in Connecticut. I don't know if William Oliver and Sarah Webb came to Connecticut with them.  I hope this helped.

Thanks, I had found their marriage certificate(William and Sarah Webb) they got married on 13 April 1845 at the Old Meeting House, Kidderminster. He was the son of a Thomas Oliver and Mary Gee(maybe),he was born in Bewdley,Worcestershire about 1822,baptised Eastham,Worcestershire 19 May 1822 and he died 1904 in Droitwich,Worcestershire (March quarter 6c 229).She is the daughter of a George Webb.Both bride and groom were unmarried at the time.Sarah died in 1898 in Kidderminster,Worcestershire.(Dec.quarter 6c 119).
Who do you descend from? - you will be related to Pascal, the frenchman who initiated my enquiry.
Best wishes and thanks again.

Offline Dsaucier04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 May 13 14:35 BST (UK) »
I descend from William Oliver and Sarah Webb's son William who immigrated to the United States. He married Margaret White and had my grandfather Leon Thomas Oliver. Leon had 10 brothers and sisters.