Author Topic: Victorian Marine Index  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Thornett

• RootsChat Member
  • Ada Martha Louise THORNETT & Robert John LEIGHTON
    • View Profile
Victorian Marine Index
« on: Friday 14 September 12 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

I found a Great Great Great Grandmother on the Victorian Marine Index cd-rom and downloaded her death certificate off the disk.

She also has a death certificate listed in the Victorian BDM's as well.

Would anyone be able to help me by telling me if the two certificates are the same? I don't want to waste my time and money getting another certificate from the Vic BDM if it is the same as what I already have.

Thanks
Living in Perth, Western Australia and researching

George & Helen LEIGHTON [McNAUGHTON] from Dundee, emigrated to Melbourne in 1854
John & Ann BOOTH [DOWSON] from Durham, emigrated to Melbourne in 1852
James & Mary THORNETT [BROWN] from Oxfordshire/Cheshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1876
John & Alice THORNETT [CARPENTER] from Oxfordshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1877

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian Marine Index
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 12 02:10 BST (UK) »
Not sure how you could get an actual death certificate from the Marine Index.
I presume you mean you got a reference to it?

If it gives you the information you needed then there is no need to purchase the actual DC.  But if you need more info, then you might have to purchase the full certificate.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Thornett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 12 02:21 BST (UK) »
The Death Certificate was linked to the reference and I downloaded it off the CD.

The reason I was asking about if the one listed in the Vic BDM could be different because the one I downloaded off the CD is incomplete in sections (Mothers maiden name, burial, marriage details).

George & Helen LEIGHTON [McNAUGHTON] from Dundee, emigrated to Melbourne in 1854
James & Mary THORNETT [BROWN] from Oxfordshire/Cheshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1876
John & Alice THORNETT [CARPENTER] from Oxfordshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1877

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 12 02:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry but I don't know a lot about Vic. certificates (mine are NSW & Qld) but someone else will probably happen along and give you the information.
Of course, it may be that the informant did notknow the mother's name etc.
What year was it?  This alos may determine how much detail you will get.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Thornett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 September 12 02:42 BST (UK) »
It was in 1854, the deceased (Helen LEIGHTON) was traveling with her two children with her husband waiting in Melbourne. She died just a few days out of Melbourne.

The certificate was filled in by the Ships Master but was signed by her husband as the informant.

Not sure if it was the common practice for this certificate to be then handed over to the Vic BDM or if another one was to be filled out.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 12 03:11 BST (UK) »
Well, personaly I'd be surprised if there was any other information, but one never knows.

How would it be signed by her husband if he was not on the ship, but two days later in Melbourne???  Maybe he had to sign it as confirmation that it was his wife, when they docked?  Odd.

Dawn M

Offline Thornett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 September 12 04:32 BST (UK) »
I would be surprised as well, that is why I put the question out there. If someone said that in their experience it is different I would purchase the Vic BDM certificate.

The husband being the informant and not the ships master is weird.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 September 12 05:36 BST (UK) »
I am assuming that this is your Helen:

Helen LEIGHTON
Death Place:   Victoria
Father's Name:   Menaghten John
Mother's Name:   Ellen
Registration Year:   1855
Registration Place:   Victoria
Registration Number:   25m

As the registration number is 25m I am assuming that this would probably be the same as the marine certificate, however I would be contacting the Victorian Registry to ask them.  If there are further details already shown on the BMD index than what you had on the marine certificate then I would be buying a BMD as well. (Seems there may be more as her father's name is givem although it looks as though it may be a mistranscription.)

This link has a further link for email enquiries. 

http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574F700805DE7/page/About+Us-Contact+us?OpenDocument&1=70-About+Us~&2=70-Contact+us~&3=~

As the ship's master filled in the form it's a pity that the husband did not read it carefully and add the other bits which are usually found on death certificates.  I would think it would depend how far out from land the ship was as to whether she would have been buried at sea.

Some-one else may be able to find out how to access the ship's log.  What are the children's names - there may be more information on the passenger lists.  Were they married in England?  If you can give some more informatin perhaps we can trace further back for you.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thornett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 September 12 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the email Judith, I will contact them now.

The childrens names were George & Helen Hendy. Although just to continue the weird trend Helen Hendy was not listed on the passenger list. They arrived on the Ann of Dundee and were listed as Lighton and not Leighton. They were married in Dundee in 1850.