Author Topic: Henry Metcalf Marshall Master Mariner lookup request  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Browny1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Metcalf Marshall Master Mariner lookup request
« on: Saturday 15 September 12 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me find details on Henry Metcalf Marshall born c1787 in Northumberland. He was a master mariner according to the census returns. Don't know if he may be just known as Henry Marshall or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated, in tracing his sea faring history.

Regards

Browny

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Metcalf Marshall Master Mariner lookup request
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
What sort of details
possible marriage to Elizabeth Balmer,Christ church Tynemouth
struggling with the images on family search sorry,but I am sure you have this any way

try the National archives for his sea faring records,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 12 18:41 BST (UK) »
On familysearch.org (parish register extract)  there is a baptism 30 Oct 1787 Henry Mitcalfe Marshall parents Robert & Jane Christchurch Tynemouth

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
You  wrote
He was a master mariner according to the census returns.
Could you tell me what was the last census return he appeared on with the title Master Mariner.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline StephenAndrews1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 September 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
Henry Metcalfe (Mitcalfe) Marshall was baptised at Christ Church, Tynemouth 30 Oct 1787. He married Elizabeth Balmer also at Christ Church, Tynemouth on 26 Feb 1829 (By Licence). He is shown living at 99, Bedford Street, North Shields in 1851, occupation Seaman. He is shown living at Church Road, North Shields in 1861, occupation Master Mariner. He died at Spring Hill, Morpeth on 15 Aug 1870 and his death was recorded in The Morpeth Herald on Saturday 20 Aug 1870. He and Elizabeth had a daughter Ann J Marshall born around 1832, baptised at Christ Church, Tynemouth 12 Dec 1832 who married John Elliott Ashton at Christ Church, Tynemouth in the Apr-Jun Quarter of 1863. With regards to his seafaring days, I have not been able to discover very much. There are some Mariners Certificates for a Henry Marshall from North Shields but I cannot prove that they are applicable to him. Following his death he does not appear to have left a Will.
Martin, Arrowsmith, Lambert, Lemon, Colton, Sheppard, Hutchinson, Rowe, Tong, Lewis, Notts, Yorks, Flint.

Offline Browny1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
I only just found out his death notice in the Morpeth Herald along with Elizabeth's, also I have the notice for Ann's marriage. Do you have images for the Mariners Certificates that I could look at. I could private message you my e-mail address.

Regards

Browny