Author Topic: Tailor - Journeyman  (Read 1933 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Tailor - Journeyman
« on: Friday 27 May 05 13:55 BST (UK) »
If you were a tailor journeyman in Birmingham back in 1861, would there be some sort of record of saying that you were a journeyman?

Thanks
Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tailor - Journeyman
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 May 05 21:12 BST (UK) »
Karen,

If you explore this board a wee bit further, you will find that several people have asked about journeymen before.  Have a look at this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,58749.0.html

The important thing to understand about journeymen is that it can refer to ANY profession or trade.  It merely means that the worker in question is hired by the day.  They went to their place of work rather than already lived there.  Today we could describe software engineers as journeymen computer programmers for example.

From the Dictionary of Genealogy
Journeyman A day labourer who had served his apprenticeship. The Statute of Artificers of 1563 laid down the journeyman’s hours of work as being, in summer, from, at or before 5 a.m. until between 7 and 8 p.m., with not more than 2½ hours off for breakfast, dinner and drinking; and in winter from dawn till dusk. Unlike apprentices and employees engaged on a longer-term basis, most journeymen lived away from their work. The term has no connection with travelling. In London, journeymen employed under licence by freemen had themselves to be freemen until 1750. Indexed licence books for 1750—1845 are at the Corporation’s Record Office, Guildhall, Gresham Street, London FC2P 2EJ, showing names of journeymen and masters.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 May 05 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

After I posted the message I did find the link about journeyman. 

I just thought maybe there was somewhere they signed up to become an apprentice so that after fulfulling the required time they would be able to say they were a journeyman.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 May 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
The only possibility I can think of for apprenticeship deeds would be the local record office.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.