Author Topic: *Completed many thanks Married - twice?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline mso1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*Completed many thanks Married - twice?
« on: Tuesday 18 September 12 12:01 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if a couple can (or would want to) get married twice within a few months in  two different areas of the country? My query relates to Hannah Elizabeth Gwendoline Maund b 1913 and Albert Leslie Wing b 1907.

I have a marriage on 11th Aug 1940, Walkern, Hertfordshire and also one Sep 1940 Caerleon, Monmouthshire with the same names. Ive checked the birth records for another HEG Maund or AL Wing but found none.

As Hannah was from Monmouthshire and Albert Hertfordshire, I am assuming they may have had two marriages for both sides of their families - if so, was this legal and was it a regular occurance?
Moss - Herefordshire/Shropshire
Shutt - Herefordshire/Worcestershire
Morris - Herefordshire
Price -  Shropshire
Preece - Herefordshire
Gittins - Herefordshire/Shropshire
Wilde - Shropshire
Parkes - Shropshire

O'Neill - Waterford/Lancashire
Burns - Waterford/Lancashire
Bentley - Lancashire/Yorkshire
Berry - Yorkshire/Lancashire
Marsden - Yorkshire

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Married - twice?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
Was Albert in military service? One sees this a bit with men who first time round had not got the relevant permission from their commanding officer, so they do it all again when they have got the permission.

Also - have you definitely got two marriages, as opposed to banns being called in two places? I can see only one registration on FreeBMD - in Caerleon registration district.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 12:07 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if a couple can (or would want to) get married twice within a few months in  two different areas of the country? My query relates to Hannah Elizabeth Gwendoline Maund b 1913 and Albert Leslie Wing b 1907.

I have a marriage on 11th Aug 1940, Walkern, Hertfordshire and also one Sep 1940 Caerleon, Monmouthshire with the same names. Ive checked the birth records for another HEG Maund or AL Wing but found none.

There is only one marriage registration that I can see - in Caerleon, 3rd quarter of 1940.

Do you actually have a certificate for the Hertfordshire marriage you mention?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
There's no law in the UK about getting married to the same person more than once.
In the case of a couple who wish to re-marry, in column 4, Condition, is entered "Previously went through a form of marriage at ***** Church, ****, on **th of **** 19*****"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mso1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
*Completed many thanks Re: Married - twice?
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much guys, especially for the prompt replies, you are spot on - the hertfordshire record I think is banns (I hadnt realised that banns were read at more than one church?)

Thanks again x
Morris - Herefordshire
Price -  Shropshire
Preece - Herefordshire
Wilde - Shropshire
Parkes - Shropshire

Marsden - Yorkshire

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: *Completed many thanks Married - twice?
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 14:19 BST (UK) »
The Banns were read in two churches. At least one of the marrying couple had to be resident in the parish which they wished to be married in; the banns of the other party were read in his/her parish of residence, and a certificate provided from the clergyman stating it was properly done. A clergyman must not solemnise a marriage in the parish where one resides, without a certificate showing that the banns had been published in the parish of the other person.

Stan

Offline mso1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much everyone, I am learning all the time with this family history and I find this forum extremely useful and the members very helpful.
Kind regards
Moira
Morris - Herefordshire
Price -  Shropshire
Preece - Herefordshire
Wilde - Shropshire
Parkes - Shropshire

Marsden - Yorkshire

Offline panda808

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 September 12 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Moira, only just seen this as I've only recently joined - I know your question was answered, and my own case is in a different time period but I thought it may be interesting anyway to yourself or others - I too found a couple who married twice  -

John Tunnicliffe and Sarah Blakeman (my GGP x4) had two wedding services just a few weeks apart. I don’t think they were very interested in marrying in their own small parish church but wanted something a little more special because they could (they had some wealth) but the 1753 Hardwick Act made it a legal requirement for a couple to marry in either the parish of the groom or the parish of the bride. So, they first married by licence on 3 Feb 1794 in Whitmore where the church stands in the grounds and gardens of a fabulous mansion. They then fulfilled the legal requirements and married again on 10 April 1794 at High Offley where they were living at the time.

As I say, I don't know much about the legal position in 1940 but I found your post interesting and thought it would be worth sharing...
Cope, Tunnicliffe, Steele

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 September 12 21:35 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

The marriage was by licence, therefore it was either a Common Licence or a Special Licence.

Common/Ordinary Licence - This could be obtained from any bishop or archbishop, Chancellor or Surrogate, and meant the Banns need not be read - and so there was not the delay of two weeks. A sworn statement was given that there was no impediment [parties were not related to one another in the prohibited degrees, proof of deceased spouse given]. The marriage was required to take place in church or chapel where one party has already lived for 4 weeks. It was also good for 3 months from date of issue.

Special Licence - Obtained from Doctors Commons in London, from the Archbishop of Canterbury or his representative. The difference between this and the Ordinary licence was that it granted the right of the couple to marry at any convenient time or place. All other requirements were the same. Names of both parties were given at the time of the application.

If they married by licence then it was legal and the second marriage had no effect, unless there was a doubt about the first marriage.

Stan