Author Topic: WW1 Hospital in Le Touquet  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Mazilby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 Hospital in Le Touquet
« on: Tuesday 18 September 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
I have the birth certificate of my grandmum who died recently. She was adopted by her father and his wife, but her birth mother never visited again. She was a nurse we think, in Queen Alexanders Nursing Corps. during the first WW at le Touquet where her daughter was born on 11th Nov. 1919. This is where she met grandpa and they called their daughter Billy Lily Halsey, her father's surname was Lewis Halsey. Her birth mother was called Lilian Camack and we would like to find out where she went after she left the child in England. I do not know if Camack was her maiden name or a married name as I cannot find her anywhere in the B M D registers. I have read that there were Canadian nurses as well as British, could she have gone on to Canada or remained in England.
I would really appreciate some help in finding Lilian Camack's whereabouts after 1919. THANK YOU>

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Hospital in Le Touquet
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Where was the birth certificate issued - is it a British certificate for a birth overseas or one issued by the French authorities? Was it Lewis Halsey who gave the information?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/army-nurses-service-records.htm
 no Camack but this does show an Edith Cammack (died in 1918 - she was Edith Mary) and a Louise Cammack (or Louisa) who served as nurses in WWI - I think Louise/Louisa may have been Louisa Georgina Cammack, b. June 1881 quarter, died unmarried aged 82 in 1963.  There was also a Mary Cormack.

When I track Louise Georgina Cammack's family, she appears to have a sister who is on the censuses as "Lillian" or "Lilian", who I think was born Annie Lilian in 1883.

http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ shows that Annie Lilian Cammack married Edward Jackson in 1917. Perhaps she was widowed shortly afterwards - the only Jackson/Cammack births on freebmd appear to be for another couple who married several years earlier and were based in Yorkshire.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mazilby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help.
I tried to attach the birth cert but it wouldn't go through. I will try again.
It was in Le Touquet where the birth was registered, and both parents names were on, but whether they were both present I do not know.
Annie Lilian sounds a good option at this stage. although the spelling is different, on the B cert it is one M in Camack.
Where would I find the family of Annie Lilian on line?
We have a photo of who we believe is Lilian Camack in nurses clothes at Le Touquet. We believe it is her because she looks like Billy Lily and her daughter.

Offline Mazilby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
Birth Cert attached.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 00:20 BST (UK) »
That looks like it may be short form/extract of some sort - normally French birth registrations have a lot more info (often including ages of parents).

http://www.lestouquettois.fr/index.php?id=15
 - I suggest you contact them and see if it's possible to get a full copy of the information.

If you can scan a copy of the photo of Lilian, somebody might be able to identify the group she was serving with.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mazilby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice, I will see where it takes me and let you know.