Author Topic: Holloway Prison Lookup *COMPLETED*  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Adamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Holloway Prison Lookup *COMPLETED*
« on: Thursday 20 September 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
My great-aunt Emily Elizabeth ROSEKILLY or ROSKILLY or maybe even ROSKELLY was in Holloway Prison in the 1911 census.

There are records at LMA but I believe they are quite scanty, however, if anyone is in LMA could they be so kind as to enquire as to what exists for 1911 and even have a look for this lady if they can spare 5 minutes.  If time doesn't allow then from you can see let me know whether it might be worth my while to go to LMA when I'm in London in October -

Sorry this is a bit vague but I have no other details -

thanks in advance -

Adam
Warren (Norfolk), England (Bristol area), Adams (Wilts), Barkham (Suffolk), Elsdon (Norfolk), Crew (Gloucs), Bunting (Norfolk), Matthews (Wilts)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Holloway Prison Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam

Have you specifically asked the LMA whether they have the relevant documents?

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/archives-and-city-history/london-metropolitan-archives/visitor-information/Pages/Contact%20the%20enquiry%20team.aspx

They will consult all their catalogues and get back to you most probably with a list of all the documents and the reference numbers that you can look at.

Doing this type of research will take more than 5 minutes. If original documents are involved, you could have up to 40minutes to wait from the time you place your order to them being available in the reading room.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

You can also get an overview of the records held at the LMA on Aim25 as the LMA contribute to that index.

http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cats/118/11429.htm

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 12 09:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much to both of you - really appreciated.  I now have a reference to follow-up at LMA.  There's a book of admissions 1910-1914 that has survived, will check that carefully out.

Thanks again -

Adam
Warren (Norfolk), England (Bristol area), Adams (Wilts), Barkham (Suffolk), Elsdon (Norfolk), Crew (Gloucs), Bunting (Norfolk), Matthews (Wilts)