Author Topic: Free Newpaper Website  (Read 989 times)

Offline Chrissymac22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Free Newpaper Website
« on: Thursday 20 September 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
I have in the past used a website that has all free newspaper articles from way back, but cannot remember the details despite searching the internet.  ::)  You can actually read the full article at no cost.  Does anyone have details of this website please? 

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Free Newpaper Website
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
In a way, the British Newspaper Archive at http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ is free - but once you've found what you're looking for, you have to pay to see the full article.

I did a lot of free searches and then took out a 48 hour sub when I had plenty of references to see.  That was quite cheap and I had excellent value from the experience!
Warren (Norfolk), England (Bristol area), Adams (Wilts), Barkham (Suffolk), Elsdon (Norfolk), Crew (Gloucs), Bunting (Norfolk), Matthews (Wilts)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
There are also "The Times" digital archive, 19th Century British Library Newspapers, and 17th-18th Century
Burney Collection Newspapers, available on line, but you have to subscribe or belong to a subscribing institution such as a library.

Stan

Offline Chrissymac22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 September 12 15:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, I do have one of the library cards so am able to access these.  This was a different website that someone at work shown me.  He has since retired, I am trying to get in touch with him and once I do, I will post details on here so other people can make use of it.

Thanks for your help.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 September 12 15:37 BST (UK) »

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 September 12 16:04 BST (UK) »
And news from Findmypast this week.
We're thrilled to tell you that millions of pages of historic British newspapers are coming soon to findmypast.co.uk!

The British Newspaper Collection will contain millions of newspaper pages for titles all over Britain, adding colour and context to your ancestors' lives.

So not exactly free, but if you've a sub to Findmypast it won't cost any more to search the newspapers once they are on line.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 September 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
http://www.thepaperboy.com/ is sometimes helpful in finding your way in to archives and current papers.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan