Author Topic: Guildford Benefit and Building Society  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Guildford Benefit and Building Society
« on: Friday 21 September 12 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hello
Does anyone know anything about the Guildford Benefit and Building Society which was set up in 1849??
I would like to know how it fared after 1850 but info is thin on the ground.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Guildford Benefit and Building Society
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 12 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Surrey History Centre have a membership register for the 'Foremen and Staff Mutual Benefit Society:Guildford Branch' 1945-1974

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=O30297

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 12 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Valda,
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I don't think that it is the same thing at all, and those records only go back as far as 1907 anyway.

I will, however, write to the Surrey History Centre and see if they can help. I thought that I would try Rootschat members first.

The Society I am talking about was started  in 1849 as evidenced by the beginning of this newspaper report from the Reading Mercury
" Saturday 22 December 1849
GUILDFORD. BENEFIT LAND AND BUILDING SOCIETY, PUBLIC MEETING. On Monday, the 17th instant, a meeting was held at the Public Hall, Guildford, to promote the objects of the Guildford and County of Surrey " Benefit Land and Building Society." The chair was taken by H. Drummond, Esq., the president of the society, and there were about four'hundred gentlemen present. ..................."

One of my ancestors was involved with it according to a further report of an AGM in 1850, hence my interest.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 September 12 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

If it turns out it was the forerunner of 'The West Surrey Permanent Mutual Benefit Building Society' then records exist for that institution at The National Archives back to 1863 and at Surrey History Centre.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk