Author Topic: Winifred HARRIS of Lambourn - ancestors  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Talmage2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Confido conquiesco
    • View Profile
Winifred HARRIS of Lambourn - ancestors
« on: Friday 21 September 12 20:23 BST (UK) »
One of my grandmothers came from Lambourn. I have got about as far as I can, tracing ancestors using online resources and disks from the Berkshire Family History Society; maybe a relative or someone who still has local connections can extend the record? Here goes with what (I think) I know:

My grandmother christened Winifred Kate Harris was born on 7 July 1894, one of the younger daughters of a large family. After marriage, she lived in Ramsbury. I have traced her family line back as far as the following individuals (if I have made no mistakes):

Joseph Harris (her paternal grandfather) was born in Farnborough about 1820. His parents might possibly have been Thomas Harris and Lucy Fisher, who married in Farnborough on 10 October 1810.

Joseph married Sarah Cox in Lambourn on 13 November 1842. The Cox family was long established in the village, and the earliest direct ancestor that I have found is Thomas Cox christened 11 July 1698 (parents given as John and Mary). He married Susannah Cook in Uffington on 8 November 1735.

Sarah Cox’s other ancestors include

Hannah Hunt, who married Thomas Cox’s son John in Lambourn on 2 December 1750.

Mary Blacknell, who married John and Hannah’s son Michael on 17 October 1780.

Eliza Riding, born in 1786 to Ann Riding, daughter of William and Frances Riding.

Winifred’s maternal grandfather was William Bowsher (christened William Honey in Lambourn on 20 March 1831). The Bowshers were another long-established Lambourn family. The earliest of his direct ancestors I have found are:

Robert Bowsher born in 1733 to Roger and Mary, in Lambourn Woodlands.

Sarah Middleton, wife of Robert’s son Thomas.

Robert Honey who married Sarah Pariss in Lambourn on 28 April 1766.

Martha Steptoe, christened 23 June 1776, parents John and Elizabeth.

For Winifred’s maternal grandmother Anne Hinder, the earliest are:

Jacob Hinder
, who I’m told ran the Malt Shovel pub in Upper Lambourn; his father was possibly named Abraham. On 10 October 1828, in Lambourn, Jacob married Sarah Taylor, presumably the same person who was baptised at St Michael’s on 14 November 1790, mother’s name also Sarah but with no father recorded.

Any guidance /suggestions will be gratefully accepted!

Thank you - Philip Talmage
Talmage (Wiltshire , Marlborough, Ramsbury, Swindon, New Zealand, USA)
Bowsher, Cox, Harris, Hinder, Honey, Riding (Berkshire, Lambourn)
Franklin (Wiltshire, Great Bedwyn, New Zealand)
Ponting and variants (Wiltshire, Marlborough, Ramsbury)
Rushen (Wiltshire, Ramsbury)

West Berkshire / North & East Wiltshire / North Hampshire

Offline Daryl_P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Winifred HARRIS of Lambourn - ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Philip. 

It has been a while since I was on this board but tonight I happened to see your reference to Honey in Lambourn.  It appears that you descend from Abia Homey and Charles Bowsher. Abia was the sister of my Great Grandfather John Hone Junior. 

Their parents were Martha Stepptoe and John Honey Senior.  John Senior was a gamekeeper. 

As you noted, Martha was the daughter of John and Elizabeth Steptoe.  I have had no luck tracing the Steptoe family.

John Honey Senior was son of Robert Honey and Elizabeth Pariss.  The Parriss family under various spellings is in Lambourn parish records going back to 1637 but I have not figured out the exact linage.  I have a lot of notes on the Honey family including speculation on the family line going back to the 1500s.  Contact me if you want to compare notes.

Daryl Polley             
In England - Honey, Mace, Steptoe, Tull, Greenyer, Ayres, Walker

In USA - Polley, Thacker, Ford, Carey, Applegate, Spriggs, Peacock, Morgan, Caudill, Coyle, Robiinson, Boone...

Offline Talmage2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Confido conquiesco
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Daryl

If John Honey Snr (1778-1860) was your 2nd GG, then my paternal grandmother and you are third cousins, so we would be third cousin twice removed. I would like to see how you trace your own line back to John Honey.

I keep my tree on a home computer, and occasionally upload copies to http://www.talmage.tribalpages.com/ if you would care to look at it. It includes some quite distant ancestors and cousins, as well as linking into my wife's and daughter-in-law's ancestors. You can also find my tree on Genes Reunited, if you're a member.

I'm on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/philip.talmage and you can see some of my photographs at http://www.flickr.com/photos/philip_talmage/ if interested. But I prefer where possible to use email - see below for my addresses.

I have just sent off to Berkshire FHS for their new Berkshire Baptisms CD, and an update of Berkshire Burials (11th edition), and plan to use them to revise my paternal grandmother's ancestry back into the 18th century, and earlier if possible. That will of course include Abia Honey's ancestry, and it will be good if we can compare notes.

I hope to get an email from you soon(ish)!

regards - Philip Talmage
Address, Telephone and Email removed by Moderator
Talmage (Wiltshire , Marlborough, Ramsbury, Swindon, New Zealand, USA)
Bowsher, Cox, Harris, Hinder, Honey, Riding (Berkshire, Lambourn)
Franklin (Wiltshire, Great Bedwyn, New Zealand)
Ponting and variants (Wiltshire, Marlborough, Ramsbury)
Rushen (Wiltshire, Ramsbury)

West Berkshire / North & East Wiltshire / North Hampshire

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip,

If you have sensitive information to share with Daryl you can use the Private Message system, this would only be seen by whoever you are exchanging PM's with, but would of course not be seen by any other researchers looking to research the ancestors of Winifred Harris.. :'(

All the Best

Sarah :)

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk