Author Topic: Searching for Grandmother info in Argentina  (Read 1842 times)

Offline 120camden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Grandmother info in Argentina
« on: Sunday 23 September 12 04:21 BST (UK) »
Mathilde Lagneau.  Born 11/28/1891.  She lived in Argentina untll 1916 and returned to Choisy Le Roi, France with her parents Armand and Jeanne (Tossi/Tosi) Lagneau. 
Thanks.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Grandmother info in Argentina
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
There are a few sets of data on https://familysearch.org/
In many cases they are not name searchable (e.g. there are some sets of images of Catholic church records but you'd have to know the location).

There is also a 1895 census. The closest I could see was Matilde "Laino", aged 3, living in  Buenos Aires.  The parents are listed as Armand (b. Belgium) and Rosa (b. France), and there is an older brother Armand.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 13:09 BST (UK) »
I'd say Jorose is right with his 1895 census entry. The surnames appear as "Laiņo", which would be a very close phonetic translation of Lagneau in Spanish. According to the census, they were married 10 years earlier and father Armand was a bricklayer.
MacLennan/Gairloch
McKay/Descendants of the Blind Piper
Jackson, Strong & Chambers/Northumberland
Mills, Cameron/Falkland Islands
Larsen/Denmark
Larrosa/Argentina & Uruguay

Offline 120camden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
. I believe that is them!!  Armand was from Belgium, his first wife was Rosalie and there was a son Armand.  You have found the Holy Grail!  As a novice I have been trying to find them under their correctly spelled name. 

Offline 120camden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 14:17 BST (UK) »
From this point, can I find out if Rosalie died in Buenos Aires?  Armand remarried and his bride was Jeanne (Giovannia) Tosi, who was born in Sartirana, province de Pavia, Italy around 1973.  She was about 10 years younger than Armand.  I have tried to search for that name in Italian records, but have no luck.  I am trying to obtain a death certificate from Kokomo, IN to see if it lists any other information that might be helpful.  Like an exact DOB.

1. That maybe explains where the name "Rose" comes into play.  Mathilde Rose, her daughter, Yolanda Rose, and my sister Sheila Rose!

2,  Could Armand have met Jeanne Tosi (who my all acounts we know of was listed as "mother to Mathilde and my mother always knew as her Grandmother,) in Argentina after Rosalie?  There is a passport application for Mathilde Lagneau Lo Bianco dated 1920 where she and her husband applied for her passport to come to the US in Aug.  Armand and Jeanne followed in Nov 1920.  and in 1929 Jeanne and her grandson, Armando Sciortino( misspelled on Ellis Island records as Sciartino) returned to Buenos Aires for a visit. 

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 14:54 BST (UK) »
I assume they were Catholic, being Belgian/French.

If you go to https://familysearch.org you will see there is a set of "Argentina, Buenos Aires, Catholic Church Records, 1635-1981".   If you could work out where they were living in 1895 and which parish that would be, you may be able to find Mathilde's baptism, Rosa's death and Armand/Jeanne's marriage there (this is an image set, not name searchable although it looks like there are sometimes indexes within the records for each parish).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marycarey17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 December 20 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps its a bit cheeky to jump in on this one, but I am also searching for people in Argentina. My partners G grandmother Eva Gertrude Reid born Lowrey 1880.I have found her return journey to UK. They arrived 15/6/1916. Eva had 3 children with her, surname Hollis. She also travelled home with John A Stowell a chemist. I cannot find a record of how she got to Argentina, or anything about her time there. Eva was from Middlesbrough so maybe travelled from there to Holland first (just a guess) any help would be appreciated. I was going to post seperately, then I saw this one. I hope that is ok.
Carey, Haughton, Reid, Duffin

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 December 20 08:49 GMT (UK) »
My partners G grandmother Eva Gertrude Reid born Lowrey 1880.I have found her return journey to UK. They arrived 15/6/1916. Eva had 3 children with her, surname Hollis.

She was Eva Gertrude Hollis (a widow) in 1911: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7PT-K6T
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marycarey17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 December 20 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Yes thats correct. She was Lowrey, then Hollis then Reid & much later Stowell.
Carey, Haughton, Reid, Duffin