Author Topic: Needle Scourer?????  (Read 1353 times)

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Needle Scourer?????
« on: Sunday 23 September 12 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Could someone put me out of my misery and explain what a needle scourer did.  I have googled it but really ust got an explanation of needle making  (it may just be that).
Thank you
Suziq
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Needle Scourer?????
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 September 12 14:04 BST (UK) »
Perhaps we might be able to get an answer if you gave us some context - time period, place. I am suspecting Yorkshire but what can you tell us?

Needles
Needles are of various sorts and kinds; namely, the surgeon's needle, the upholsterer's needle, the cook's needle, the glover's needle (three-cornered at the point), the sail-maker's needle (which has to be pushed through with a steel or leather palm), the broommaker's needle, the weaver's needle (which has an open eye in the hook for picking up broken threads), the milliner's needle, the darning needle (a needle with a long eye, to be obtained in different sizes), the zephyr needle (which has a long eye and either sharp or blunt point), the bodkin or tape needle, and the ordinary sewing needle, which comes under the head of "sharps," "betweens," and "ground downs," and ranges in size from No. 1, the largest, to No. 12, the smallest.

The common sewing needle is manufactured almost exclusively in England, and requires cast steel wire of superior quality, which must be cut into lengths sufficient to make two at a time.

These pieces are straightened upon an iron table by means of an instrument called a rubbing knife.

The wire is then pointed at each end by automatic machinery provided with a fan and shaft to carry away the steel and grindstone dust.

It is next stamped and grooved, preparatory for eying; the lengths are then divided in two, and after burnishing the eye, they are hardened by being heated in an oven, and subsequently cooled by being plunged into oil.

This rapid cooling of the steel makes it as brittle as glass, and in order to reduce it to a perfect state of elasticity, it has to be again raised to about six hundred degrees and then allowed to cool gradually.

The process of scouring the needles takes about a week. They are mixed with oil, soft soap, and emery powder, wrapped in loose canvas, and placed in a kind of mangle worked by machinery. The scouring process finished, they are washed in hot water and dried in sawdust.

Finally, they are sorted, wrapped, and labeled. For wrapping, purple paper, chemically prepared, is used, because it is supposed to prevent rusting

Read more: http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/needlework/Home-And-School-Sewing/Needles.html#ixzz27IWYD8GE
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Needle Scourer?????
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 September 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Hackstaple and Rosie, I can now pass this info on to my friend whose family this is. The needle makers and scourers I have found are from Redditch which I now understand is the centre of the needle making industry. 

Many thanks again
Suziq
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex